• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Sox & Martins 71 Hemicuda Auctioned

Cudaized

Reaction score
I was watching the 2011 Mecum Auction last night, I believe on Speed channel. Ronnie Sox's 71 Hemicuda was up for auction and I was shocked that the bid did not go over $450,000. A few years ago that would have been easily over 1 Million. I don't believe it was sold . Grumpy Bill Jenkins 70 Camaro, "Grumpy's Toy" was also on auction and didn't go over $300,000 No Sale. I guess things are pretty tight for everyone. I thought both cars would have sold for sure. I know, by no means is $450,000 cheap, and I could never dream of bidding with those people but, wasn't there a 3 Million Dollar Hemicuda Convertible a few years back? To me Ronnie Sox's car is much more valuable and historical. What do you guys think?

burntorange70

Reaction score
There are only 7 Hemi Cuda verts so they bring big bucks. Also restored cars will always bring more money than race cars. The prices were out of site a few years ago but with the economy in the gutter things are getting back to sane as far as prices go.

sheetmetaldan

Reaction score
I was watching this too it`s on HD theater on my cable system channel 839. Grumpy Jenkins 74 Vega was on the block as well I think it reached $350,000 I could be wrong on that number but it was up there not sure if it sold.Lots of awesome cars at these auctions.I`ve never been to an auto auction but is it me or are these Mecum guys really annoying making chicken sounds,flapping their arms,doing anything they can to get people to bid.Is it like this at Barrett/Jackson or any other big name auctions too?Love the cars just not the Ringling Bros act they do.

"Also restored cars will always bring more money than race cars."

I`m not sure if I agree with that statement the drag cars from this aucton were getting the big numbers compared to the "regular" (I use that term loosely) cars up for auction.I guess it all depends on the historical significance of the car who owned/drove it records it held ect,ect.Either way it`s more money than I got to spend.

ramenth

Reaction score
Guess the economy's tight, even for those who have a half million dollars to bid. Investment now on a lower price might mean dividends in the long run, but speculation can also leave you holding the bag.

Seems like a lot of these historically significant cars are winding up in museums lately. At least that's the impression you can get if you're reading the articles in the magazines. Maybe the museum owners are seeing a fall off in gate sales, leaving them with less room to bid?

Cudaized

Reaction score
There was a '70 Hemi Cuda vert. that went for 1.6 mill. at the Russo & Steele auction last week.

I wasn't aware of this one. Maybe I'm just sentimental about the Sox & Martin Cuda because, I've owned Cudas since my first Cuda in 1970 and followed Ronnie Sox's racing career for many years. (There were not that many Mopar fans back then, most people were GM or Ford). Whenever Sox won a big race it was like a personal victory for Mopar owners. Especially those of us that street raced and put up with sayings like: (Mopar= My Old Pig Ain't Running). A friend of mine that lives in N.J., for many years owned one of those rare 70 Hemicuda Convertibles , Red/Red interior. I remember being around that car so often, that maybe, that's why I don't think it's such a big deal. On the other hand, Sox's Cuda, you never saw that car only when it came around a local track or in magazines. To own the car that Sox actually raced when he beat all those brand X cars , to me that's priceless.

Back