• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

SOLD 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye (Restored)...Where Do I Go From Here? (Edit: Price $37,500)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDChallenger

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
This may be the strangest “For Sale” post ever, so bear with me. I am a 72-year old retired CPA w/ a very nice 1972 ‘numbers matching’ Challenger Rallye I am considering selling. The short and sweet version of how I got to this point: I purchased the car in November 2013 at a Mecum auction in Orange County, CA (Lot F175). Why? It was a beautiful car, I had always wanted a Challenger, and my girlfriend was giddy with excitement (the real reason). The vehicle had been restored over a 4+ year period by a guy living in Missouri, beginning in the early 2000s. From 2007-10 they showed the car at multiple Mopar Nationals shows, winning many 1st-2nd place trophies.

After owning the car for only a short period of time I found the previous owners had done a fabulous rotisserie restoration on the car, but had farmed out the not-so-stellar engine rebuild. I am a marginal mechanic at best, and so hooked up with the Mopar Club of San Diego’s tech advisor to address the mechanical issues. Over the next year or so we did (or had done) the following: 1) pulled & re-built engine, adding stroker kit, mild cam, TTI headers, custom exhaust system, Edelbrock heads, and Firm Feel power steering box.

The week after I purchased the Challenger, my girlfriend died of kidney cancer, and after that I lost and never regained my passion for the car. Since we completed the mechanical rebuild in 2016, I have only put 1K on the engine and that was simply to break in the engine.

The final chapter: In 2017 I retired to CO from Cali and the car has been sitting in the garage since except for a few short drives to keep it operational. Then, in 2021 a trickle charger I had on the battery failed and the top of the battery blew off causing some minor damage to the engine compartment. I replaced the air filter cover, which had some acid damage, and am in the process of cleaning up the compartment and replacing the battery/tray. Frankly, I am tired, disinterested in doing any more work on the car, reluctant to go through the prep/shipping/commissions, etc. of selling it at auction, and contemplating just selling it outright.

Issues: These are the known issues on the Challenger: final cleanup on the engine bay; cannot find proper fit PCV grommet for Mopar cast alum valve cover (almost like drilled to wrong size); RF door lock does not function; needs R door panel replacement to match new L door panel (I have panel); dash panel lights do not function; paint crack at R rear panel to trunk seam; a few rust spots on wheel chrome; carbs may need some love (didn’t do any work when moved from Cali to CO); original radio removed and replaced w/ “modern” radio/speakers/woofer (I always wanted to change back to factory spec radio).

Restoration (from prior owner write-up) – “It was put on a rotisserie and plastic media blasted on all the exterior and glass beaded in the trunk area and engine compartment and bottom…. INTAKE is a 340 6pk intake with brand new carbs, linkage, etc. Air cleaner came off a 1970 TA and has been blasted and professionally painted. brand new seal that seals to the Factory 70 TA Hood with the proper hood hinges that match the hood. That’s were most people make the first mistake. you have to use the low tension springs not to bow the hood. Found rust free fenders, doors and bought brand new FULL quarters, trunk lid, lower valance, rear valance. anything that showed signs of rust was removed/replaced with rust free parts. I bought stainless exhaust tips, not chrome ones like most people use. The transmission was totally broken down, cleaned and a complete rebuilt kit with all syncs replaced with brand new bearings. Driveshaft all new ujoints, rear-end was total rebuild with new bearings, etc. All the chrome on the car as been triple show quality chromed. All brand new interior includes new dash pad, carpet, seat covers,and the trim that goes around the dash. Etc…there is to much to tell what was replaced.

The front window was replaced new, and side drivers and pass. glass replaced also. All seals and weather strips have been replaced.”
(I have approx. 400 photos of rebuild & results)

I would appreciate any show of interest, or even just thoughts from fellow members on where I might go from here. I will sell the car if I can get a fair price, whatever that is. Not looking to commit grand theft, but also don’t want to be the victim of same. 😊

1972 Dodge Challenger @ Mecum Auction.jpg

1972 Dodge Challenger_Awards & Trophies.jpg

Challenger - 1st Outing.jpg

Challenger - interior.jpg

Challenger - trunk.jpg

Challenger - under the hood.jpg

MONC

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could list it on Bring a Trailer with a reserve that meets your minimum expectation. If it doesn't sell, you could possibly make a deal with the high bidder.
At the very least you will get an idea of what the interest is. Now is a good time to sell with the weather nice in most areas of the country

pschlosser

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a nice looking ride. Well done. Do it have a fender tag or broadcast sheet showing the option details from the factory? I welcome seeing images of the specs if you have them in the archive.

I love yellow on an e-body. Very nice.

Listing it on ebay with an appropriate reserve price may be another option. The only problem I have with ebay is the listing is too short (only 7-days long), so if a potential buyer doesn't happen to look on ebay that week, he misses out, and you miss out on the bidding war. I like ebay because if the listing has lots of pictures and accurate description, where the bidding stops is a great indicator of what the car is worth to most. I like that kind of clarity.

Another option is listing it for sale in Hemmings Motor News. These are expensive classified to buy, but they reach people looking specifically for Mopar cars.

Last edited:

MONC

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience Ebay bidders are 'stingy'.
So if you go that route set reserve where you want, but don't be surprised if it doesn't meet reserve and bids are lower than expected.
It's a good way to get car out there though.

ragtopdodge

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice lookin' rig.

340 car or 318 car? Originally a stick shift car? If so, got a fender tag to show it?

If it is a 340, 4-speed car, I'd expect perhaps somewhere in the neighborhood of $40-45k. It'd probably garner $49k if it had a Rallye hood that matched (ditto the fender bolts/hinges) and everything else sorted.

Good luck and ya, you need to have tons of pictures, videos of walkaround/driving if you want to sell to potential millions of buyers around the world on the internet.

Hemmings, Cars-on-line.com, BAT (although musclecars don't do as well as imports on there), moparts.org, here, etc.

If it's a 318/auto car w/a conversion of drivetrain, I'd think it'd be worth around $30-39k; again if you can get all the mechanicals sorted out.

SDChallenger

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all your responses. I have both the fender tag and broadcast sheet. It's a 340 4-speed from the factory.
That is a nice looking ride. Well done. Do it have a fender tag or broadcast sheet showing the option details from the factory? I welcome seeing images of the specs if you have them in the archive.

I love yellow on an e-body. Very nice.

Listing it on ebay with an appropriate reserve price may be another option. The only problem I have with ebay is the listing is too short (only 7-days long), so if a potential buyer doesn't happen to look on ebay that week, he misses out, and you miss out on the bidding war. I like ebay because if the listing has lots of pictures and accurate description, where the bidding stops is a great indicator of what the car is worth to most. I like that kind of clarity.

Another option is listing it for sale in Hemmings Motor News. These are expensive classified to buy, but they reach people looking specifically for Mopar cars.
Thanks for the response. I am attaching photos of the build sheet & a "decoder" I did on the build sheet (after much work with a magnifying glass), as well as the fender tag.
1972 Dodge Challenger_Build Sheet (Decoded)_Page_1R.jpg
1972 Dodge Challenger_Fender TagR.jpg

View attachment 1972 Dodge Challenger_Build SheetR.jpg

MONC

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing tag info.
Originally a dark gold car with tan interior l believe.
Despite color changes , most would prefer current configuration.

Best of luck with whatever you decide, condolences on the loss of your girlfriend.

SDChallenger

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing tag info.
Originally a dark gold car with tan interior l believe.
Despite color changes , most would prefer current configuration.

Best of luck with whatever you decide
Much appreciated.

Terzmo

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sale section..not what it's worth..discription...pictures..Price.

SDChallenger

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sale section..not what it's worth..discription...pictures..Price.
Me thinketh I have offended thee! SO sorry for my intrusion into your perfect world; guess I missed the clearly defined rules on what this thread is for. Can you ever forgive me? And perhaps you might be a happier person if you toned down your attitude.

SDChallenger

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the information, and sorry for the omission of the price. The price is $37,500. I have edited the thread to reflect same.

MONC

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Priced about right for today's market IMO

Terzmo

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me thinketh I have offended thee! SO sorry for my intrusion into your perfect world; guess I missed the clearly defined rules on what this thread is for. Can you ever forgive me? And perhaps you might be a happier person if you toned down your attitude.
Not offended just surprised how many have no reading comprehension, but I guess that's a norm in the recent school system.

SDChallenger

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not offended just surprised how many have no reading comprehension, but I guess that's a norm in the recent school system.
And yet I have a Masters Degree in Taxation, am a CPA, and the retired CFO of a $100 million health care organization...go figure. Of course, I got my education 50 years ago so I hardly qualify as having an education in the "recent school system". But I confess, I don't spend most of my time reading & memorizing blog posting rules, so am clearly a dunderhead by your definition. I can live with that. :) Have a nice day.

john_wick

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thanks for sharing your story and sorry for your loss. Seems like owning this car had been bittersweet and i understand why you might want to move on.

As someone else mentioned i would think bring a trailer would be a good avenue to possibly sell it. Either that or find a consignment shop that deals with classics.

Good luck with whatever you decide and hope you enjoy your new found retirement.

SDChallenger

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the thoughts. I will have to check out Bring a Trailer...never heard of it before. Much appreciated.

Terzmo

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yet I have a Masters Degree in Taxation, am a CPA, and the retired CFO of a $100 million health care organization...go figure. Of course, I got my education 50 years ago so I hardly qualify as having an education in the "recent school system". But I confess, I don't spend most of my time reading & memorizing blog posting rules, so am clearly a dunderhead by your definition. I can live with that. :) Have a nice day.
Book smart vs common sense and courtesy. Common instructions are easily digested by the "common" Man.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the sale & more important my condolences for your loss ....
SO much of our passion is based on memories , my third car was a 70 R/T Chall & I had so much fun with that car I have remained passionate about them , my second vehicle was a Chev truck it was the biggest piece of junk you can imagine , later I was forced to buy a second chev truck & it was worse so those are my first & last GMs I will ever own . Your memories are tied to your friend you sadly lost so I understand .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back