• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Spacers

73 kooda

Reaction score
Guys help me out. I got some one inch spacers I pulled off my kids mustang... Are they really dangerous cause I think my 14x6's would look really good one inch further out and I definitely have room.. Anyone have personal mishaps or just a guy who knew a guy??

moparleo

Reaction score
In a few words. Yes I lost a wheel many years ago, probably 40. The first car I owned was a ( I know I know ) 55 Chevy wagon. It had aftermarket wheels and wheel spacers. I lost a r /f wheel when the studs snapped off. Luckily at only about 40 mph on a wide street. I have since worked in the tire and auto rpair industry for the last 35 years. Now retired. What happens is that the spacer moves the lugnut away from the hub. This allows the wheel stud to stretch past the point it was designed for, so it snaps off. Not good. Please throw them away or recycle them.

aa-1159

Reaction score
I disagree, I've used spacers for a number of year with no problems, Just make sure you get a good quality spacer, I had mine custom made, not that cast stuff you buy in auto part stores

moparleo

Reaction score
It doesn't matter what your custom made spacer is made of. The spacer doesn't fail. The wheel stud fails. Many people are lucky and don't have a problem, like you, but that doesn't mean it is ok.

73 kooda

Reaction score
The spacers i have seem like theyre well built.. They havelug nuts attached to them, and offset holes where the original studsa are locked down. So basically you attach the spacer to existing lug nuts on your hub, then the wheel attaches to seperate studs attached to the new spacer. I can see what leo would be talking about . That would be dangerous i agree. Ill try and attach a photo tomorrow, but mostly i use my ipad on this site and havent figured out how to attach photos. I do appreciate everyones input. Definitely dont wanna have a wheel fall off at any speed.

71solo2challenger

Reaction score
As long as they are solid "billet" bolt on spacers you will be fine. NOT CAST! NOT SLIP ON!

I run 1" spacers on my car with 11" wide slicks on ALL 4 CORNERS and don't have any problems. Just make sure your torque all 40 lugnuts with a torque wrench and you'll be fine.

moparleo

Reaction score
Ok what you have described are bolt pattern adapters. These bolt on to the hub and the studs are attached to the rim. This is for example, putting a 5 on 4 3/4" Chevy wheel on a 5 on 4 1/2" ford or dodge/plymouth hub. These will work for normal driving as long as the lugs are torqued on the adapter and the rim. Wheel studs were much weaker in the 60's and 70's. And should not be tightened more than 80 ft.lbs. Modern passenger car torque specs are generally 100 ft. lbs.

73 kooda

Reaction score
how do you upload pics? When i hit the insert image icon, a URL box pops up...Somebody help please and I'll get pics of the spacers up

73 kooda

Reaction score
album.php

moparleo

Reaction score
FYI All you have to do to upload a picture from your computer is to click on the box that says "go advanced" . Then click on the paper clip icon. That allows you to download attachments to your message.

Back