• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Special Order 1970 Dodge Challenger 440 Super Track Pack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pringle70

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
Hello,
I'm entertaining the idea of selling a Challenger of mine, but due to it's rarity I have a problem determining it's value. The car is 1970 Dodge Challenger, "U" Code that is a Super Track Pack car 4.10 Sure Grip, 4- Speed Pistol Grip, Power Disc, Dark Metallic Green w/ Factory Black Leather interior...the car has roughly 77,000 miles on it. Now what makes this car really unique is that is also has a special order engine. On the 440 Badge you can easily see an "A" stamped on the pad, meaning it was factory order with .020 over bore. The vehicles engine/driveline is all numbers corrects, even with the original intake manifold, exhaust manifold, etc. Just not the damn valve covers...It is also a 2 fender tag car. The metal on the car is in great shape, only needing a new trunk. I'll try and post more pics when I can.

Can you all please help me wither determining what the value of this car would be? I mean the way I look at it, it was order from the factory to be a street racer...

Thanks!
image(3).jpgimage(4).jpg

image(3).jpg

image(4).jpg

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Just to clarify, you couldn't order a .020 overbore. Not every engine was perfect from the factory, some required an overbore while others required oversized bearings for the mains or the rods. The stamp is on the block to make sure that the servicing dealer knew what had been done to the engine. This neither ads nor detracts from the value of your car now. Lets see the fender tags and some decent pics of the body and interior and here some more details on its history. Is it a survivor car or has it had any sort of resto work done in its past?

mmissile

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In reality, it was probably a bad block that they could fix for production. Definitely wasn't a "good" thing. Most classic-car people don't realize the low quality of old cars, as compared to new stuff.

BigTown3

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One last note.

If this is a true numbers matching car and it does have a DANA behind it you have a nice car. If fixed up it would be worth a ton. In the shape it looks to be in you may get appox 15K for it. If you find the right person on Ebay with a few beers in them you may get more.

Pringle70

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,
I apologize for my absence. I have been very busy with work and other "Honey Do's" since putting up this thread. Rats/mice have not gotten into this particular car...it's just been stored outside for a few falls and so the engine bay is pretty much untouched with the exception of me cleaning off the badge and verifying numbers. The car has no rust on it, with the exception of MAYBE needing a trunk. I need to put additional pictures the next time I go out to see the vehicle.

Seems like I'm getting conflicting opinions of the "A" stamp. Some people feel it was a factory screw-up and patch job, while others believe it was genuinely ordered with the overbore. I'll have to go digging for the build sheet possible to make sure...?

I'm also not just searching for offers FYI, I just truly have no idea what a car like that would be worth in the state that it's in. That being a full restoration on a car that is 95% complete, numbers correct, and unique as it is. I'll try to get more pics and respond to questions/comments a bit quicker from now on. Thank you for all your help!

Pringle70

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Big Town,
Yes, that is where I found the information on the stamp. However, I'm confused after the DetMatt1 above stated that you couldn't order engines with the larger bore from the factory...that it was more or less a screw up. I've seen other engines order from the factory and having the "S" for Special or the Maltese Cross stamped into the engine block...so I'm curious why you couldn't order one .020 over if it was available??? Any thoughts?

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree with Matt. Sometimes blocks were overbored to compensate for a blemish. They were marked, so repairs if needed, could be made to the motors. You couldn't order an overbored engine.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
What is .020 equall on a 440 something like 4 cubic inches? Not worth doing intentionally.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I remember back in the early 80's guys going crazy over the "rare" Maltese cross engines. These same guys would buy 1970 440 heads for their 1970 383's.

RzeroB

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Big Town,
Yes, that is where I found the information on the stamp. However, I'm confused after the DetMatt1 above stated that you couldn't order engines with the larger bore from the factory...that it was more or less a screw up. I've seen other engines order from the factory and having the "S" for Special or the Maltese Cross stamped into the engine block...so I'm curious why you couldn't order one .020 over if it was available??? Any thoughts?

As you saw on the website there were all sorts of symbols and codes that could be stamped on the ID pad to identify aspects of the motor that deviated from the design tolerances. This was a byproduct of mass manufacturing where Ma Mopar was cranking out hundreds of engines (and engine components) every day. Invariably, in mass manufacturing operations like they had you are going to have pieces that come through that are slightly out of tolerance. Ones that were "close enough" to tolerances were refinished, placed in service and the appropriate symbol or stamp was placed upon the ID pad. Those pieces that were too far out of tolerance to be refinished were sent back to the foundry to be recycled in the furnace. The bottom line was that they wanted to put as many pieces into service that they could to keep the engine assembly lines moving to meet the demand of the car assembly lines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back