• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Standard dash guages - Ribbed vs. Non-ribbed - Woodgrain or No woodgrain

Code3

Reaction score
I have a Standard dash guage setup and I wanted to put the woodgrain on it. Does the woodgrain only go on the ribbed or non-ribbed dash? or maybe it goes on both, IDK??
The ribbed dash looks like a smoother surface which would allow the woodgrain sticker to adhere better. Does anyone know the right answer? Thanks!

Avalanche

Reaction score
Ribbed dash is 70 only and I think they are black, not woodgrain. I think the non ribbed came either black or woodgrain.

Maybe someone who knows for sure will chime in.

Last edited:

DetMatt1

Reaction score
As far as I know the wood grain application was Barracuda Gran Coupe only and no Challengers with standard gauges had wood grain.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Wood grain was an option on the Challenger. You can put a woodgrain on the ribbed cluster but it isn't correct. The ribbed cluster uses a different gauge housing than the woodgrain cluster. I don't have pics available right now. They are on a CD and I am remodeling my home. I have no idea of where they are. If you look at your ribbed cluster you will see the three lights at the bottom are recessed in comparison to the woodgrain housing. When you use the woodgrain housing there will be a large space between the lights and the bezel. When you turn on lights or one of the lower three lights come on the light will just shine out everywhere instead of shining through the hole it was meant to. To do it correctly you will need a cluster that is made for the woodgrain bezel.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Too much. It is like restoring a rusty, wrecked Mopar; but not as fun. Its a pain because I basically still have to drive it every day while restoring it.

Code3

Reaction score
So there is a specific woodgrain cluster for the standard guages? Three different standard guages? Ribbed, textured and woodgrain?

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Woodgrain and textured use the same cluster. It is the most common. So it's ribbed and then everything else. I'm sure the bean counters had ribbed done away with after 1970.

Last edited:

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I have one in my SE and my 71 Challenger convertible came with one.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
There was one in my '71 vert as well but I was told that it was out of a Gran coupe. It was in such a tattered condition that I removed it and replaced it with a non woodgrain bezel. I was also told that the instruments in the cluster were also a mixed bag from different years and that was the same time that I noticed that it appears as though a ralley cluster had been removed. I'm currently putting parts together to make that conversion.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Here's your answer for 70. It is the same in 71, but I don't have a copy of the 71 order form in my computer. The option code is J64. It is the last code on the page. Under the column for Challenger you will see an E beside J64. That means it is Extra or optional. In 70 when you got the woodgrain they just used the Cuda Grand Coupe Cluster.

70_Challenger0023.jpg

challenger6pak

Reaction score
SE is in Indiana. I am in Florida. The 71 vert is apart and I may be able to get to the dash. I'll have to see.

Back