• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Starter problems

Flchallenger

Reaction score
Have a fresh 512 stroker and couldn't get to start just screecching like crazy. Long story short looks like the flywheel teeth are spining and not the flywheel. Have you ever heard of this?

Flchallenger

Reaction score
Any reccomended flywheel producers are better than any others. It has Mc Loed flywheel. I am at least happy that after multiple times under the car checking wiring, voltage levels that I finally have found the cuplrit. Just shocked to be honest.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I have no opinion on what to use.someone else might. make sure or you have,that the engine turns over freely by hand .

tonysrt

Reaction score
Many years ago I had the ring gear replaced on my flywheel at a good automotive store. I never asked about the process but it involved heating the ring gear and then placing it on the flywheel. Of course this is a simplified way of describing what was done, but just to let you know it probably can be repaired, but you may have to research who can do it. It cost me $60 about 20 years ago for the replacement ring gear and installation.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I have used a lot of McLeod parts with no issues but anyone can have a bad day .
Contact McLeod , they may warranty it .

Flchallenger

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replys. It has been very frustrating and without this community I would never had figured it out like so many things on this car. I certainly bit off more than I can chew when I bought this car 15 years ago. I can see why people just give up and sell. But there is no satisfaction in that. I compare it to people that sit and do a crossword puzzle. But when you figure out this puzzle you get to drive it.

Rons340

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replys. It has been very frustrating and without this community I would never had figured it out like so many things on this car. I certainly bit off more than I can chew when I bought this car 15 years ago. I can see why people just give up and sell. But there is no satisfaction in that. I compare it to people that sit and do a crossword puzzle. But when you figure out this puzzle you get to drive it.
Flchallanger,
Unfortunately, not all folks have the skills, or facilities, to accommodate needed repairs. That is why it is helpful to participate in forums like these. We can't do much for facilities and proper tooling but there are some very knowledgeable professionals on here that are willing to share their expertise to help the ones that just need a little guidance.
Don't give up and sell your piece of history, just seek out enough information to solve the problem and keep on enjoying that Mopar! :)

fasjac

Reaction score
Any reccomended flywheel producers are better than any others. It has Mc Loed flywheel. I am at least happy that after multiple times under the car checking wiring, voltage levels that I finally have found the cuplrit. Just shocked to be honest.
I’m using a billet steel Centerforce for many years without issues. I have a 6 hole used one (143 tooth 6 hole) freshly turned for 150 plus shipping if interested. I went with an 8 hole on my 500 stroker.

Back