• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Steering Center Link Removal

terrywalker

Reaction score
I had a problem removing the center link from the steering gear (pitman) arm that has not happened to me before. I removed the cotter pin from the nut. I then went to loosen the nut on the pitman arm to remove the center link (tie rods are removed). The nut broke loose (I thought) but instead, the tapered shaft of the pitman arm is spinning in the center link. Any ideas what to do now? I may just need to carefully cut the nut off the threads. Thanks for any input.
Terry W.

heminut

Reaction score
If you can get it in there, you might try putting a C clamp on the joint and compress the joint to see if you can get enough friction on the tapered shaft to break the nut loose. If you can, definitely use an impact gun to try and break it loose. (And soak it with PB Blaster!)

Xcudame

Reaction score
Some are going to cringe on this. Take a BFH (big hammer) and whack the steering center link next to the pitman arm. You can cushion the blow(s) with a small piece of plywood if your squeamish. What you're trying to do is lock the pitman arm taper back into the center link hole.

terrywalker

Reaction score
Good news. I tapped the center link back onto the pitman arm taper. I sprayed some penetrating oil on the nut/threads and worked the nut back and forth. Eventually came right off. Very easy solution. Thanks.
Terry W.

Back