• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Steering column mystery

greatscot3

Reaction score
Hello

I have been puzzling over the steering column in my '74 Cuda. I suspect either parts may be missing or I have a column from another year.
There is very clearly something wrong with it and the exploded view I found for that year does not seem to have a lot in common with what I have got.
My problem starts above the steering box coupler and before the column goes through the firewall.
The "jacket" is the outer tube that the actual steering column fits through and I have a sleeve or collar piece that was just hanging there when I bought the car. The parts lists calls this part a "support". It seems like there should be a lot more there in the way of a bearing or a bushing and a specially formed collar with a special "C" clip.
IMG_4215.JPG
IMG_4220.JPG
IMG_4222.JPG
IMG_4215.JPG
IMG_4220.JPG
IMG_4222.JPG

Does anyone know a real steering column wizard that could help sort this out?

I would be extremely grateful for any help.

Thanks, Jon S.

RJHJR

Reaction score
It does not look like any of my 70 or 71 Challengers.
Cuda Cody on you tube has great videos of rebuilding one.
These are from my 71 steering column rebuild.

DSC04771.JPG

DSC04774.JPG

DSC04799.JPG

DSC04801.JPG

greatscot3

Reaction score
It does not look like any of my 70 or 71 Challengers.
Cuda Cody on you tube has great videos of rebuilding one.
These are from my 71 steering column rebuild.

View attachment 62459

View attachment 62460

View attachment 62465

View attachment 62466

Thank you!

That is a big help. I am starting to get some more information and those pics are a step in the right direction. They are showing me what they were trying to do with the bushings and keepers, I just have to find one like mine.
STEERINGCOLUMNCLIPSANDBUSHING.jpg
Screenshot_2019-08-08 1970 Challenger Steering Box Removal Part 1 - YouTube.png
STEERINGCOLUMNCLIPSANDBUSHING.jpg
Screenshot_2019-08-08 1970 Challenger Steering Box Removal Part 1 - YouTube.png
SteeringColumnResample1 001.jpg
I found Cuda Cody's videos the other day and watched both "Identification" and "Disassembly" and his columns were earlier than mine.
What is kind of confusing (to me) is, the way the exploded view shows that lower column off a 1974 Barracuda does not seem to look much like mine. I found a video of a guy with a plum crazy '70 Challenger removing his steering box and took a screenshot of his lower column. What is different is, his "collar" or shoulder bushing that accepts that weirdly formed "C" clip on mine is longer than mine and shows a white bushing inside. My shoulder bushing is much shorter and larger in diameter and does not have the white plastic insert shown in his. It could possibly be captured by that oddly formed "C" clip though. I guess I need to find out what could go inside mine that seems to be missing.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Post a pic of your entire column. It may be B body or have B body parts.

greatscot3

Reaction score
I wil
Post a pic of your entire column. It may be B body or have B body parts.

Thanks for your reply
l will do that tomorrow for sure and post.
This one has a crush can upper but I found this post that indicates other Mopars had crush cans too with more or less ribs and maybe other lower ends.
crush can help
I'm still waiting (praying) for the old Mopar guy to go, oh yeah, I know what that is.
Hard to believe I have the only one.

John L.

Reaction score
My 74 barracuda has an actual bearing at the bottom of the tube. Had to search for a while to find the bearing and the cast aluminum part that the bearing fits into.

Back