1. Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Steering column mystery

Steering / Suspension

1. greatscot3

greatscot3 Active Member

Hello

I have been puzzling over the steering column in my '74 Cuda. I suspect either parts may be missing or I have a column from another year.
    There is very clearly something wrong with it and the exploded view I found for that year does not seem to have a lot in common with what I have got.
    My problem starts above the steering box coupler and before the column goes through the firewall.
    The "jacket" is the outer tube that the actual steering column fits through and I have a sleeve or collar piece that was just hanging there when I bought the car. The parts lists calls this part a "support". It seems like there should be a lot more there in the way of a bearing or a bushing and a specially formed collar with a special "C" clip. IMG_4215.JPG IMG_4220.JPG IMG_4222.JPG IMG_4215.JPG IMG_4220.JPG IMG_4222.JPG
    Does anyone know a real steering column wizard that could help sort this out?

I would be extremely grateful for any help.

Thanks, Jon S.

2. RJHJR

RJHJR Well-Known Member

It does not look like any of my 70 or 71 Challengers.
    Cuda Cody on you tube has great videos of rebuilding one.
    These are from my 71 steering column rebuild.

DSC04771.JPG

DSC04774.JPG

DSC04799.JPG

DSC04801.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  3. greatscot3

greatscot3 Active Member

Thank you!

That is a big help. I am starting to get some more information and those pics are a step in the right direction. They are showing me what they were trying to do with the bushings and keepers, I just have to find one like mine.
    STEERINGCOLUMNCLIPSANDBUSHING.jpg Screenshot_2019-08-08 1970 Challenger Steering Box Removal Part 1 - YouTube.png STEERINGCOLUMNCLIPSANDBUSHING.jpg Screenshot_2019-08-08 1970 Challenger Steering Box Removal Part 1 - YouTube.png SteeringColumnResample1 001.jpg I found Cuda Cody's videos the other day and watched both "Identification" and "Disassembly" and his columns were earlier than mine.
    What is kind of confusing (to me) is, the way the exploded view shows that lower column off a 1974 Barracuda does not seem to look much like mine. I found a video of a guy with a plum crazy '70 Challenger removing his steering box and took a screenshot of his lower column. What is different is, his "collar" or shoulder bushing that accepts that weirdly formed "C" clip on mine is longer than mine and shows a white bushing inside. My shoulder bushing is much shorter and larger in diameter and does not have the white plastic insert shown in his. It could possibly be captured by that oddly formed "C" clip though. I guess I need to find out what could go inside mine that seems to be missing.

4. challenger6pak

challenger6pak Well-Known Member

Post a pic of your entire column. It may be B body or have B body parts.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  5. greatscot3

greatscot3 Active Member

I wil
    Thanks for your reply
    l will do that tomorrow for sure and post.
    This one has a crush can upper but I found this post that indicates other Mopars had crush cans too with more or less ribs and maybe other lower ends.
    crush can help
    I'm still waiting (praying) for the old Mopar guy to go, oh yeah, I know what that is.
    Hard to believe I have the only one.

6. RJHJR

RJHJR Well-Known Member

I think challenger6pak is correct.

• Like Like x 1