• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Steering column too long for gear box.

BillJ

Reaction score
I have a 70 cuda and am trying to convert to power steering. I bought the Borgeson box and the supposed required custom coupler from Bergman. The whole thing is just way too long. The guy at Bergman told me to hammer the shaft in but it doesn't look like that will work since the shaft looks too wide to go through the firewall. Can I get some advice please? Oh.... I am using the QA1 K member.....

Steering.jpg

BillJ

Reaction score
It will move inward. But it snaps the safety pins.

View attachment 122677
Thank you so much for your help. Yes I have read that and that is what Bergman told me. I tried to tap on it but I didn't want to hit it too hard. Kindly look at the picture below. My steering column doesn't even look like what you are showing. What's going on here? If I take the steering column out will it all be clear to me? I'm not confident with this!

SteeringColumn.jpg

Xcudame

Reaction score
Challenger RTA showed you that actual shaft inside the column. That's why yours looks different. You need to unbolt the steering column from the dash (two screws - actually nuts on studs) and firewall (three screws) before you can slide it onto the steering box spines.

BillJ

Reaction score
Challenger RTA showed you that actual shaft inside the column. That's why yours looks different. You need to unbolt the steering column from the dash (two screws - actually nuts on studs) and firewall (three screws) before you can slide it onto the steering box spines.

Thank you. I will unbolt the steering column. It does look easy but the scope of the project just seems to keep growing.

Xcudame

Reaction score
It's not easy. It's not too hard. Kinda in the middle because you have to get under the dash to get the three firewall bolts. There's two slots in the steering column were it bolts to the two bolts in the meral dash frame. That allows adjustment "in and out" of the steering column. Keep us posted!

heminut

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your help. Yes I have read that and that is what Bergman told me. I tried to tap on it but I didn't want to hit it too hard. Kindly look at the picture below. My steering column doesn't even look like what you are showing. What's going on here? If I take the steering column out will it all be clear to me? I'm not confident with this!

View attachment 122686
That looks like someone has welded a sleeve over the original shaft!

Xcudame

Reaction score
Good catch Heminut! At this point, who knows how long that steering column is now! It's certainly not collapsible anymore!

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Might be from something else, Or grafted on from damage. for some reason looks ?

Last edited:

Xcudame

Reaction score
My 70 is not a column shift. But they all look very similar to each other. No 60's or 70's Mopar I've encountered looks like yours BillJ. It appears someone welded larger diameter tubing to the actual shaft!

Xcudame

Reaction score
Was the 70 Cuda a manual steering box at some point? I'm thinking they extended the original shaft to fit something than what you're trying to do. You may be shorting what you've got now or looking for a new column like Challenger RTA said. 🙁

BillJ

Reaction score
I think heminut is on to something. I don't know a lot because there is no fender tag just the vin on the dash. I do know that it was an automatic converted to a 4 speed. It came with manual steering. It was a 340 car with a 440. The Z bar arrangement looked pretty shoddy when I took it apart. With my bad knees I could barely shift the car. I was planning on putting in a hydraulic clutch. I think there is a sleeve welded on to the shaft like heminut says. It actually looks pretty clean. Probably not too good at collapsing if there is an impact.
I think I am going to have to weld in one of those universal joints instead of the mopar coupler. I just hope there is some way I can have it all assembled and then have the welder come and do his thing. I hate having to make accurate measurements for something like this. Since I am using the QA1 K member and the borgeson unit there is no telling what length I actually need. If i had front wheels I could at least get it towed somewhere and get it fixed....

Rons340

Reaction score
I used a Borgeson unit on my challenger and it's a very easy installation if you bought the joint!
Simply set your column in place through the firewall and with the joint attached to the Borgeson gear, match it up and mark your shaft. Cut the shaft to the proper length for the new connecting joint. It's as simple as that, no smoke or mirrors!

IMG_2350.jpegIMG_2349.jpeg

BillJ

Reaction score
I used a Borgeson unit on my challenger and it's a very easy installation if you bought the joint!
Simply set your column in place through the firewall and with the joint attached to the Borgeson gear, match it up and mark your shaft. Cut the shaft to the proper length for the new connecting joint. It's as simple as that, no smoke or mirrors!

View attachment 122757View attachment 122758
Ron thank you so much for taking the time to upload the pictures. If you look at my last picture it does look like there is a sleeve welded on to my shaft. I have to examine whether the coupler has enough space to fit between the sleeve and the PS unit. Or maybe there is a coupler that has the same ID as the OD that is welded on to my steering shaft.... Damn more Kojack work. Nothing goes smoothly. Or maybe I should get a new shaft and use the Bergman coupler that I bought. I have to remount the PS unit and see how much space there is for the coupler.
I really like the looks of your handiwork. Nice and clean. Or maybe I should just buy a new column. I just don't think I would get $1000 worth of utility from that. The good thing about being in CA is that the is a company that works on steering close to me. I think the next step is to evaluate whether there is enough room for a coupler like yours and also take out the steering and bring it to the shop that I was talking about and see what they have to say.

Rons340

Reaction score
I understand, sometimes the fab work can be the hardest. You are on the right track though.
If you will measure back on the original steering shaft you will cut that joint completely out leaving the round portion of the shaft that will be an exact fit to the Borgeson coupler.

You will love the Borgeson gear. It drives so much better that the OE unit plus there is tons more room for headers which is a big plus on Ebodys! Good luck to you on your build!! :)

Back