• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Still having issues...

jackn440

Reaction score
Thanks for the reminder moper, those things always slip my mind. As far as the fine tuning goes, I've gotten it dialed in, except I'm still experiencing a miss at low rpm that makes itself more noticeable as drive time increases. I rechecked all of my wiring for the electronic ignition, warrantied out my MSD coil for a new one, and still no change. The ballast resistor is building lots of heat, to the point where I can't touch it. Don't think this is normal, but I could be wrong. I have two theories: voltage, or vacuum. When the engine is idling in gear, the amp gauge reads slightly negative, and it is the lower rpm range when it gives me trouble. I drove it around on the interstate for 30 minutes tonight at a steady 75 mph and it didn't give me a bit of trouble until I pulled off the highway. My other idea is that maybe the new cam is not pulling as much vacuum and somehow screwing with the advance. My friends are trying to help out, but at the same time they are taking the opportunity to "suggest" that I should just sell the car to one of them....Not gonna happen though :)

ramenth

Reaction score
Thanks for the reminder moper, those things always slip my mind. As far as the fine tuning goes, I've gotten it dialed in, except I'm still experiencing a miss at low rpm that makes itself more noticeable as drive time increases. I rechecked all of my wiring for the electronic ignition, warrantied out my MSD coil for a new one, and still no change. The ballast resistor is building lots of heat, to the point where I can't touch it. Don't think this is normal, but I could be wrong. I have two theories: voltage, or vacuum. When the engine is idling in gear, the amp gauge reads slightly negative, and it is the lower rpm range when it gives me trouble. I drove it around on the interstate for 30 minutes tonight at a steady 75 mph and it didn't give me a bit of trouble until I pulled off the highway. My other idea is that maybe the new cam is not pulling as much vacuum and somehow screwing with the advance. My friends are trying to help out, but at the same time they are taking the opportunity to "suggest" that I should just sell the car to one of them....Not gonna happen though :)

Did the new system come with the proper ballast? Might have to go with the "double" resistor (four prong) if you haven't already. Also, since all this has gone on have you rechecked your plugs? The wrong ballast could send them to plug heaven...
The best way to check vacuum is with a gauge.

jackn440

Reaction score
Well I went to check the plugs, and while doing that I noticed that the cylinder 5 plug wire was broken on the spark plug end. I replaced it with one of my old plug wires and problem solved. I'm going to warranty out my MSD plug wires tomorrow for some nice new ones. Once I have those on, I think the whole ignition will be brand spankin' new and I can really concentrate on getting her dialed in just right.

ramenth

Reaction score
Well I went to check the plugs, and while doing that I noticed that the cylinder 5 plug wire was broken on the spark plug end. I replaced it with one of my old plug wires and problem solved. I'm going to warranty out my MSD plug wires tomorrow for some nice new ones. Once I have those on, I think the whole ignition will be brand spankin' new and I can really concentrate on getting her dialed in just right.

Fantastic! Tell us how it goes.

Back