• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Stuck driveshaft u joint.

bullet18

Reaction score
Im trying to remove the slip yoke from the durango drive shaft im using for my challenger and im having some issues. I broke a c clamp and in the process bruised my hand pretty badly. Luckily i had a face mask on because my friend was using an angle grinder nearby but i did not expect my clamp to just break and throw the other half across the garage. Any ideas on how to break the u joint free without a hydraulic press?

Grady Cain

Reaction score
A press would help or at least a u-joint/ball-joint tool (looks like a giant c-clamp.) Some auto parts stores may loan you one of these if you don't have one. May also need to use a little heat from an oxy-acetylene torch to persuade that u-joint to release. Be careful kid!

718vYJvtHML._SX425_.jpg

bullet18

Reaction score
Ill pick one up tomorrow. Ive done O'Reilly's loaner tool program before. I dont have acces to an oxy acetylene torch so i guess ill just hit it with a hammer on the side while its under pressure. I cant afford to break this clamp as its $117 but they look alot beefier than the chinese c clamp i was using.

Last edited:

Adam

Reaction score
Make sure you have removed the clips if they are present; some are on the inside, under the grease/dirt...

bullet18

Reaction score
I have removed the clips. Ill try soaking the u joints in brake fluid.

bullet18

Reaction score
I got them off with one of those tools i rented. Thanks for the help!

quapman

Reaction score
I had one like that recently...really stuck! I put the driveshaft in my vise and whacked the yoke both ways with my biggest rubber mallet until the caps came out. There was no way they were going in to push the opposite one out. Used a regular hammer on the u-joint in the yoke using the same technique.

Back