• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

stuck in the middle

LoGear

Reaction score
i took on a project of a 1970 challenger RT. My issue is that it was numbers matching 340 4 speed with factory ac and power steering with a rotisserie restoration that is 2/3rds done that has been sitting in a heated garage for approximately 15 years. During that time the fender tag and build sheet have been misplaced. I really want to finish this thing as original as possible but haven't been able to come up with any idea of exactly the way is should be. i believe i have tried everything that i could find on the internet and have gotten nowhere. i also need details on placement of everything in the engine compartment. and am in need of some parts.

IMG_20211112_152324119 (1).jpg

IMG_20211112_151720273 (1).jpg

IMG_20211112_151744196_HDR (1).jpg

IMG_20211112_151950128_HDR (1).jpg

IMG_20211112_152038756 (1).jpg

IMG_20211112_152123661_HDR (1).jpg

70chall440

Reaction score
First off, welcome, please post some pictures of the car.

Well it isn't secret how they were put together, there are a number of restored and survivor cars out there which you can compare to. Start a build thread and then ask the questions you have, post ads in the WTB section for things you need or want.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from the Motor City! If it’s an original 340 car then it’s not an R/T. Does the vin start with JH23H0? If so you have a standard Challenger with the A66 340 performance package.
nice car whatever it started out as though.

rklein71

Reaction score
Sure is a pretty car. I believe there were no 340 RTs in 1970, I see on the site that they are referred to A66 cars. I have no idea why the Challenger RT could not be ordered with a 340, yet a Cuda could.

340challconvert

Reaction score
LoGear
:welcome: to FEBO from New Jersey
You have a really nice looking A66 Challenger!
In 1970 Dodge was originally not planning to install the 340 in a Challenger. It was a late decision to do so. They are all JH 23/27 H coded cars and not RT's.
When the late decision was made to add the high performance A66 option, these cars were not readily available until October 1969. (340 RT Challengers were made available for the 1971 model year)
I maintain the A66 Registry for the Challenger A66 group. If you are willing to pm me your serial number, I can match it against the information in the A66 Registry to see if it had been registered in the past or consider adding your car to the Registry.
Thanks
Phil
https://a66challenger.com/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am posting information below of what was standard on the A66 Challengers as per Hamtramck - Historical

- per the '70 Dodge "salesman's pocket guide" 9/23/69 version:
CODE A66 - Challenger 340 CID engine package - $258.90
NA Special Edition (29), NA R/T (JS)
15" Rallye wheels (W21) - required at EXTRA cost
collapsible spare (W34) - required at EXTRA cost

this changed at some point - as the following shows

per the '70 Dodge "dealership data book" no date found
CODE A66 - Challenger 340 CID engine package - includes
340 engine - E55
F70-14 RWL tires - T87
R/T hood
H.D. brakes
H.D. suspension
"bumble bee" stripe
"scat pack" decals
wheel lip mouldings "DELETED"

Quick Synopsis
1639068342172.jpeg

Last edited:

fasjac

Reaction score
i took on a project of a 1970 challenger RT. My issue is that it was numbers matching 340 4 speed with factory ac and power steering with a rotisserie restoration that is 2/3rds done that has been sitting in a heated garage for approximately 15 years. During that time the fender tag and build sheet have been misplaced. I really want to finish this thing as original as possible but haven't been able to come up with any idea of exactly the way is should be. i believe i have tried everything that i could find on the internet and have gotten nowhere. i also need details on placement of everything in the engine compartment. and am in need of some parts.

View attachment 88418

View attachment 88419

View attachment 88420

View attachment 88421

View attachment 88423

View attachment 88424
Definitely looking good!👍🏻

LoGear

Reaction score
LoGear
:welcome: to FEBO from New Jersey
You have a really nice looking A66 Challenger!
In 1970 Dodge was originally not planning to install the 340 in a Challenger. It was a late decision to do so. They are all JH 23/27 H coded cars and not RT's.
When the late decision was made to add the high performance A66 option, these cars were not readily available until October 1969. (340 RT Challengers were made available for the 1971 model year)
I maintain the A66 Registry for the Challenger A66 group. If you are willing to pm me your serial number, I can match it against the information in the A66 Registry to see if it had been registered in the past or consider adding your car to the Registry.
Thanks
Phil
https://a66challenger.com/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am posting information below of what was standard on the A66 Challengers as per Hamtramck - Historical

- per the '70 Dodge "salesman's pocket guide" 9/23/69 version:
CODE A66 - Challenger 340 CID engine package - $258.90
NA Special Edition (29), NA R/T (JS)
15" Rallye wheels (W21) - required at EXTRA cost
collapsible spare (W34) - required at EXTRA cost

this changed at some point - as the following shows

per the '70 Dodge "dealership data book" no date found
CODE A66 - Challenger 340 CID engine package - includes
340 engine - E55
F70-14 RWL tires - T87
R/T hood
H.D. brakes
H.D. suspension
"bumble bee" stripe
"scat pack" decals
wheel lip mouldings "DELETED"

Quick Synopsis
View attachment 88432
how do i pm you?

LoGear

Reaction score
someone posted some manuals yesterday that are for sale to assist in restoring a challenger. i can't find the post. could you possibly repost?

fasjac

Reaction score
And go to to my mopars.com to download free repair/service books. A must do in my opinion.
Leo posted the mmc Detroit site to get the book you need to show exactly as how these cars were assembled at the plants.
If you want it right, these can’t be replaced.
Keep playing around with the site, you can search by key words and/ or members.
There’s a load of knowledge here but, if your doing some of or all of it yourself, should at least download the free repair book. You don’t have to print the entire book as you can access each section your working on and print pages you need.
It will help you along with asking questions to the members. Good luck to you.

340challconvert

Reaction score
LoGear
Thanks for submitting your serial number.
In the A66 Registry a car previous to yours (115 SN) has a scheduled production date of October 28th. The closest car after yours is 116495 (was sold by a dealership in Ohio) has a SPD of October 31, 1969.
Most early A66 Challengers are LA built (HOE) just as your car is. Your car was mostly likely built between October 28th and October 31st, 1969. October was a very prolific month for e-body production. These other cars were also 4 speeds.
I can postulate from your photos the following:
- Y-1 paint with black interior H6X9
- Black vinyl top V1X
- Hood black out V21
- A66 - 340 Performance package
- Engine E55
- Trans D21
- Standard dash (w the 2 speed windshield wiper)
- Dual chrome mirrors G33 G31
- Rim blow wheel S83
- Pedal dress up J41
- AC H51
- Factory rear speakers dual R31

Summary Notes:
- You have a brake master for disc brakes (manual-no power) Were disc brakes added?
- Grill is painted black; original would have been argent. RT emblems and side stripe added. Common things to see on many A66 Challengers added by owner
- Common option A01 on the tag would give you glove box light, trunk light, map light, ignition light & lights-on buzzer, If you have these lights you have A01 on tag.
- An early car like yours would likely have come with the 15" wheels (mandatory purchase on early A66 cars) Collapsible spare would have been mandatory with the wheels.
- Check to see if you have sure grip & ratio tag. Common to see 3:55 gears w a 340 (w AC could be 3;23's)

Let me know what other options you found in the process of your beautiful restoration. Hope this was a helpful start.
Phil (A66 Challenger Registry)

Last edited:

LoGear

Reaction score
LoGear
Thanks for submitting your serial number.
In the A66 Registry a car previous to yours (115 SN) has a scheduled production date of October 28th. The closest car after yours is 116495 (was sold by a dealership in Ohio) has a SPD of October 31, 1969.
Most early A66 Challengers are LA built (HOE) just as your car is. Your car was mostly likely built between October 28th and October 31st, 1969. October was a very prolific month for e-body production. These other cars were also 4 speeds.
I can postulate from your photos the following:
- Y-1 paint with black interior H6X9
- Black vinyl top V1X
- Hood black out V21
- A66 - 340 Performance package
- Engine E55
- Trans D21
- Standard dash (w the 2 speed windshield wiper)
- Dual chrome mirrors G33 G31
- Rim blow wheel S83
- Pedal dress up J41
- AC H51
- Factory rear speakers dual R31

Summary Notes:
- You have a brake master for disc brakes (manual-no power) Were disc brakes added?
- Grill is painted black; original would have been argent. RT emblems and side stripe added. Common things to see on many A66 Challengers added by owner
- Common option A01 on the tag would give you glove box light, trunk light, map light, ignition light & lights-on buzzer, If you have these lights you have A01 on tag.
- An early car like yours would likely have come with the 15" wheels (mandatory purchase on early A66 cars) Collapsible spare would have been mandatory with the wheels.
- Check to see if you have sure grip & ratio tag. Common to see 3:55 gears w a 340 (w AC could be 3;23's)

Let me know what other options you found in the process of your beautiful restoration. Hope this was a helpful start.
Phil (A66 Challenger Registry)
it does have front disc brakes and . also power steering and a rally dash and a console along with nos hood pins and 15 inch wheels. I have also recently found the names of the last two owners and i am hoping to get a picture or some info on the car from one of them from before the restoration was started. the car was last titled in Albuquerque in 2003. i Was told by the las owner that the car was taken to Canada around 2012 for restoration and the older gentleman that owned the business had gotten sick and wasn't doing well so they took the car back to Pa in the stages that you see it in now. it sat that way for eight or so years until now.

Last edited:

340challconvert

Reaction score
LoGear
I will update the data on your car. It would be great to be able to speak to previous owners to obtain information your car.
As I said before; your car is looking exceptional!
A66 Challengers are unique. IMO
:thumbsup:
it does have front disc brakes and . also power steering and a rally dash and a console along with nos hood pins and 15 inch wheels. I have also recently found the names of the last two owners and i am hoping to get a picture or some info on the car from one of them from before the restoration was started. the car was last titled in Albuquerque in 2003. i Was told by the las owner that the car was taken to Canada around 2012 for restoration and the older gentleman that owned the business had gotten sick and wasn't doing well so they took the car back to Pa in the stages that you see it in now. it sat that way for eight or so years until now.

Back