• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Sway bar hardware question?

Tirekickertoo

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm planning on installing an original Mopar real axle sway bar kit on my 70 Challenger. I have all the pieces to install except the hardware that attaches the sway bar brackets to the rear frame rails. Are these brackets attached to the frame rails using thru bolts or self tapping bolts? I can't seem to find a mechanical breakdown or print of this option. Also, I would "assume" there are factory markings on the frame rails where to drill and place these sway bar mounts. If Mopar didn't do this, what are the measurement to correctly install?

As always, thanks for the help,

Tirekickertoo

340challconvert

Reaction score
There should be "dimples" on the frame rails where the sway bar brackets bolt to. The original bolts would be self-tapping.
Check out this picture showing approximate locations of the brackets.
I will be adding a factory sway bar to my car also, so I am scoping out pics of an installation.
Dino2 (1).gif

-swayrear.jpg

Last edited:

Tirekickertoo

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and posting the pictures paharamia and Grady Cain. I'll have to remove some undercoating to look for the dimples. Any idea on the size of the self tapping bolts?

Thank you,

Tirekickertoo

340challconvert

Reaction score
I thought 340 cars came with rear sway bars?
I believe that the Trans Am 340 cars came factory with the rear sway bar, but not the A66 cars.
I am never surprised on how Mopar optioned cars.
The early A66 cars came with the HD suspension and 15 inch tires as standard. You would think, since the emphasis was on handling, they would have included the rear bar.
Be interesting to survey A66 cars to see how many came with the rear sway bar?

Dino2 (1).gif

Back