• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Tapping noise when on load

Mopewbie

Reaction score
Hi all, just double checking suggestions about this tapping noise very loud when the car is in gear.

Here's the video:

Engine is a 318, probably tired and some white smoke coming from the exhaust.

I checked the lifters and it seems to be all good. Can it be valves?

If it was a tad easier to remove the oil pan I would go for new pistons rings, etc but hey. Any suggestion is appreciated. Thank you.

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score
Hi all, just double checking suggestions about this tapping noise very loud when the car is in gear.

Here's the video:

Engine is a 318, probably tired and some white smoke coming from the exhaust.

I checked the lifters and it seems to be all good. Can it be valves?

If it was a tad easier to remove the oil pan I would go for new pistons rings, etc but hey. Any suggestion is appreciated. Thank you.

Did you verify it was not an exhaust leak? How many miles are on the engine? Is this a recent change or has it been doing that for awhile?

Mopewbie

Reaction score
Did you verify it was not an exhaust leak? How many miles are on the engine? Is this a recent change or has it been doing that for awhile?
Had no chance to test the exhaust. Trying to remove the ends to apply pressure and see if I can hear something.
Engine itself seems to be very quiet to be honest, been around with an stethoscope and couldn't hear anything unusual.

No idea how many miles but hasn't been touched in decades.

EW1BH27

Reaction score
Could a flex plate bolt be working its way out and hitting the shield. I had to remove my shield (I think mine's a case of a worn thrust bearing). Regardless, mine was quiet in Park & Neutral, noisy in any gear.

Xcudame

Reaction score
Have you driven to a high rpm recently? Easy to float the valves in a 318 and kiss an exhaust valve with the top of a piston.
I have a 340 block where a flex plate bolt came loose and chewed up the block a little, so EW1BH27 could be spot on.

Steve340

Reaction score
Does it come and go as you put it in to gear? Or it just gets louder when you put it in gear?

Mopewbie

Reaction score
Could a flex plate bolt be working its way out and hitting the shield. I had to remove my shield (I think mine's a case of a worn thrust bearing). Regardless, mine was quiet in Park & Neutral, noisy in any gear.
True, didn't think about that. I'll put it on the ramp and check next week.

Mopewbie

Reaction score
Does it come and go as you put it in to gear? Or it just gets louder when you put it in gear?
Can't really hear it if not in gear. Once in gwar it's there all the time on acceleration.
If I stop accelerating the noise will ease/disappear.

Steve340

Reaction score
When it is on the ramp check the crankshaft end thrust. You can gently pry it back and forth. Should be maximum 10 thousands.
It might also be the flex plate or something in the transmission.

Back