• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

TF727 rear mount not centered

northstart

Reaction score
I started to replace the support mount for the 727 in my 70' Challenger and noticed that it is quite a bit off-center (also found out that the crossmember is from 72-74 car and had to drill a couple of new holes but that should not matter the mount position).
Is this something that needs attention? Obviously there is a bit angle in trans/driveshaft joint.

20230713_125539~3.jpg

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The rubber bushing in the mount has deteriorated , it needs replacement , you can use the Energy Suspension Poly bushing as an option .

pschlosser

Reaction score
The part book(s) show a part number change for E-body crossmember around June 1971. So the older style would be 1970- to June 1971, and the newer after.

With that said, I would expect the rubber bushing in your photo to be centered between the bolt supports on either side. Is it possible with some prying, you can slide the bushing and center it on the cross member bolt?

northstart

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I have new mount ready but started wondering if the mount bushing sitting non-center is normal (depenging on the angle of engine+trans) or something that should be fixed.

The crossmember in the picture should go left (co-driver side) or tranny should go right (driver side) to make the mount bushing to sit in the center of the crossmember's "ears". But crossmember is fixed to frame and mount is fixed to tranny so no possibility for adjustment there.

Steve Blair

Reaction score
Hello northstart,
The transmission mount in my 71 Cuda was towards the passenger side so I used a rachet strap and pulled the rear of the transmission to the drivers side and stuffed 3 large washers on the passenger side of the mount to keep it centered. I used a Poly mount allows me to use the washers to keep the transmission centered and a polyurethane mount to keep the transmission in place.
Good Luck!

Xcudame

Reaction score
Slap in the new mount and be done with it! The current mount with the rubber sticking out further on one side looks ugly! Like Chryco Physco stated, keep the messed up one and replace the rubber with a poly bushing. Spares are handy.

northstart

Reaction score
Hello northstart,
The transmission mount in my 71 Cuda was towards the passenger side so I used a rachet strap and pulled the rear of the transmission to the drivers side and stuffed 3 large washers on the passenger side of the mount to keep it centered. I used a Poly mount allows me to use the washers to keep the transmission centered and a polyurethane mount to keep the transmission in place.
Good Luck!
Hi Steve, thanks for the tip! Did you loosen the engine mounts before pulling the trans rear to drivers side?

Steve Blair

Reaction score
I did try loosening the engine mounts and K member mounts before pulling the rear of the transmission over with the rachet strap, no improvement by loosening anything first...

Steve Blair

Reaction score
I would use the poly mount, it's built better than the rubber mount and will keep your transmission centered.

Back