• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

The Negative Side of Using An 180 Degree Thermostat?

wedg2go

Reaction score
Hot soak is something I never considered. Most of this "engine stutter" occurs at low speed. If I run higher speeds and pull in to fill up at a station, it will start right up after the fill-up!!??

LOL!

I'm going to look into that as a possible by warming it up and letting it sit a little longer than it would to fill-up (I'm in and out of gas stations at NASCAR pit speeds).

Thanks!!!

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
No downside IMO , I would also block the heat riser port in the intake if it is open .
I always run 180* stats hit is hot enough to be efficent & slightly cooler than the 195*

V02Barracuda

Reaction score
I run RobertShaw 160 thermostats in all my cars. I was told I MUST use the 195 in my 440 6 pack. Yeah, that lasted about a half hour. It didn't like it. I went right back to 160. My engines love 160. The gauge(s) never goes over 185 on the hottest days. Usually they stay around 170 on a nice summer day.

oldkimmer

Reaction score
If for whatever reason ur motor is running 15 to 20 degrees hotter than ur T stat degree rating then ur T stat obviously isnt doing its job or u have the wrong T stat or some other problem. Kim

fasjac

Reaction score
Definitely a possibility. I just drove it 40-50 miles a few hours ago. The gauge on the dash is just before half way. The mechanical says it’s 195-200. But, it’s alway registered that way. With a 195 stat, I’d be pulling over for a few minutes in the summer. The humidity here is off the charts in July and August. The car has dual fans with a controller. One fan turns on at 170 and the second at 195. This has been the best I can get it. That is driving in traffic and highway combined. No holes in the stat.
I just know that a 195 stat is not right for the set up. Everything is new, just 10-12 old now. Entropy’s aluminum radiator, MP water pump and housing.
Open for suggestions for sure.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Put your entire cooling system back to bone stock and I bet your problems would be solved. It was super hot and humid when these cars were built and some of the best engineers in Detroit actually designed the cooling systems in these very cars to run trouble free in all the various climates across the country. There really is no reason to reinvent the wheel.

fasjac

Reaction score
Put your entire cooling system back to bone stock and I bet your problems would be solved. It was super hot and humid when these cars were built and some of the best engineers in Detroit actually designed the cooling systems in these very cars to run trouble free in all the various climates across the country. There really is no reason to reinvent the wheel.
Thanks and I would agree with that. I'm not having an overheating problem now, I think it was more about running the 160* thermostat and six pack tuning. I've had bone stock cars in the past (everything factory) that did do perfect with a 195* tstat.

Old Mopar

Reaction score
First post oh boy
Sorry i am late to the party
as seen on other mopar sites the well informed will advise you that a 195 thermostat is required for today's gasoline. the fuel will not atomized correctly and it collects in the intake while the motor runs which in turn ping-pongs the AF ratio.
The opening point of the thermostat will not determine if the car will run hot or not. Period
Low operating temps contaminate the oil faster, promotes wear, carbon build up and creates toxic goo in the engine from the oil.
That's it for my first post, i hope all pay attention and quit reinventing the wheel

Back