• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Torsion Bar End Swap

terrywalker

Reaction score
I have a question I had not thought about before. I have the driver's side torsion bar removed at this time . I was wondering if the bar can be swapped end for end. I marked the way the ends were originally installed but I hadn't thought of it before. The bars have had the twist put on them one way for 50 years. Swapping it end for end would be the opposite way. The ends are marked differently, but does it make a difference? Thoughts.
Terry W.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I always reinstall the numbers to the back. Now I think about it are the numbers on both ends?

Last edited:

terrywalker

Reaction score
The markings on each end in photos. Driver side (L). You can also see two orange paint marks in bottom photo on bar.
Terry W.

DRVR TB Front 1.jpg

DRVR TB Rear 2.jpg

terrywalker

Reaction score
I'm not sure how long the car was used. The friend I bought it from told me the car had less than 100K miles on it when engine was pulled after a small accident. We believe it was pulled in the late 1980s or maybe 1990 at latest. So far, the ball joints and tie rod ends are all tight (except for one outer bent in accident). So the front end has been unloaded for over 30 years. The bars are straight and no rust. Came out easy. Control arm bushings are tight but I'm replacing them anyway. This car, so far, has been easy to take apart. If I switch it to a 4 speed, it adds about $1800 to the rebuild of this car. It will be a driver.
Terry W.

Adam

Reaction score
It looks the factory protective coating is mostly gone off that one bar. I would treat it with a rust converter, like Ospho, and then spray it with an non-paintable (stays flexible) undercoating. If you eventually upgrade to new T-bars they will probably come without any coating on them. You don’t want rusty T-bars.

terrywalker

Reaction score
I plan on putting a coating on it after a new dust boot is installed and the bar is in the car. Too hard to get the boot on with a rough undercoating on it. The cars don't rust much in the dry eastern Washington climate.
Terry W.

Back