• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

toughest 8 3/4.....?

hogpowr

Reaction score
I blew up my 489 series 8 3/4 this weekend at the drag strip in Union Grove. The ring/Pinion broke and took out the caps on the center section. or vise / versa, not sure what happened first.

I trying to build a strong replacement. Anyone have a legitimate opinion on the 742 cases vs the 489 cases? I'm planning to buy an aftermarket case. If I have to stay with 8 3/4.. which one should I build? Who makes the strongest ring/pinion setup? Here's what she looks like now... car didn't move 10 feet off the line.

Rob

IMG_1195.jpg

IMG_1195.jpg

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Having been down this road you can buy & install all of the best parts , special carriers , billet caps , brace the housing , it will still break .
I built a top quality 8 3/4 with all of the best parts , I got 1 launch out of it , 45" under full power ripped 36 of 45 teeth off the ring gear & all 10 off the pinion , the rest of the parts held we welded supports inside the housing so the cap were supported , back braced , everything .
My Advice Buy a Dana same $$ & it will not break .....
Doctor Diff / Cass is the best place to deal with !
Nice pic , mine was far worse even using 35 spline axles & spool etc
742 is stronger , 489 you have to use a spacer to replace the crush sleeve , the crush sleeve is the weak link !
See the other post above as well .

Last edited:
Back