• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

transmission conversion

booyaballer

Reaction score
looking for some feedback. my 70 challenger was originally a 318 column shift car which was changed to a 360 crate engine with a quick silver automatic floor shifter. I am planning to convert to a manual transmission. i know i will need some tunnel work but i want something that will basically plug in seamlessly or close to it. I know Passon has a wait list but all things being equal what are your thoughts on Passon vs Brewers vs Silver Sport's Tremec?

Thanks.

Rich G.

Reaction score
Silver sport will sell you the Tremec 5 speed . I put in a couple and I like them. You have to modify the floor a little but not a big deal. I went with the hydraulic setup which was a little more money but works really nice and you don’t need any of the z bar stuff.

JurgenS

Reaction score
I'm also looking to convert to a manual setup. My intial idea was to go with the Passon 5 speed but I heard they have a long waiting list (I emailed them last week but no answer so far). I was quoted by SST for a Tremec magnum 6 speed, that would cost me, including everything around 8k$. I'm a little reluctant for cutting the floor, so the Tremec isn't such a good option anyway. Currently thinking of going to an A833 and Gear Vendors setup. In the end, I estimate it'll cost around the same as the Tremec since I have to buy all the parts anyway, transmissions, clutch, bellhousing, driveshaft, ...

David DiMartino

Reaction score
I am installing the SST kit in my car now. Kit is put together very well, instructions are detailed enough. Support from SST is fantastic, even when it cost them some cash. I think no matter which way you go you will be cutting the floor to put in the correct tunnel hump for the manual transmission. I bought mine, Tremec 5spd, last March for about 6600. Personal thought, you can't go wrong with SST.
One thing to note, make sure you let SST know if your engine is internal or external balance. Feel free to contact me if you want to get more details.

Knock Out

Reaction score
Replaced my factory 4 speed with passon
So far so good
About 1500 miles

JurgenS

Reaction score
How long did you have to wait after you've ordered it? I called Passon about 2 weeks ago and the current lead time is over a year.

booyaballer

Reaction score
i've had a negative experience with a shop and have lost ten months waiting for the work to get done so I'm getting the courage up to do the tremec 5 speed conversion install myself though i don't consider myself a mechanic. i've looked at the instructions from SST and they seem straightforward though i'll have to figure out the welding. any major issues i should anticipate? can i glue the the new transmission tunnel piece since i don't weld?

thanks in advance.

gzig5

Reaction score
Yes, you can use an appropriate panel bond glue to put the hump in. Shouldn't be a problem if you aren't using the console, that might complicate it. Is the SST kit a hydraulic throw out bearing?

Adam

Reaction score
I installed a Tremec and hyd clutch in my 71 Challenger, original 4 speed car. It didn’t need any welding at all, but with an auto trans car I’m sure the hump should be replaced. Couple of easy things to be aware of:
The bell housing center hole has to be measured with a dial indicator to ensure it is centered with the crank bushing, or the trans will not live very long. Usually they want the measurements recorded for the warranty.

The Tremec has a built in neutral safety switch. Make sure it is wired correctly or you will have a no start situation.

Get the correct oil and pre-fill the trans before installing, unless you are a contortionist. You may need to put the driveshaft yoke, or plastic sleeve into the rear of the trans to keep the gear oil from leaking out.

You will probably have to change the speedo drive gear, try to calculate the one you need based on your tire size and rear gears. Easier to change before installation.

If possible try to pre-bleed the clutch slave cylinder/throw out. For some ridiculous reason mine had the bleed screw pointing down....

When cutting out the old trans tunnel be careful not to cut into the crossmember beneath the floor. Also leave enough of the old floor so the new tunnel will have something to bond to.

I would have the transmission at least mocked in place before bonding the new tunnel in place to ensure the shifter hole is centered over the trans shifter stub.

Panel bonding adhesive is great stuff and should be stronger than the base metal. I would use a 40 grit, or so, disc on both mating surfaces, apply the adhesive and use some sheet metal screws to clamp them together.

Last edited:

Drivun

Reaction score
I did a magnum stroker with a SS tremec 600 on my 72 318 auto. Same thoughts as Adam incl bleeder position issue...takes forever to bleed in car.
Also I had issue using TTI long tube headers that on a lowered car ended with collectors 2 1/2 inch from pavement. Size of the tremec and retention of upper Torsion bar support forces kit to sit at an angle that tips the long tube headers down more than stock. TTI shorties solved the problem, although if I hadn’t lowered my car I might have had the desired 4 inch speed bump clearance.
I also was very pleased with SilverSports timeliness and customer support.

fasjac

Reaction score
Tremec TKO-600 for my cuda which a manual trans already. Did the upgrade about 12 years ago. Still love it. I went with .064 5th gear 275/60/15’s with 3.91 rear, used their bellhousing and 11” clutch. I didn’t use the hydraulics. No tunnel mods needed. Pretty much plug and play. And as Adam stated; use a dial indicator to center on bellhousing and make sure SST has the measurements.
Happy spending!

booyaballer

Reaction score
i ordered my SST kit today!! thanks for the feedback, i know it will save me plenty of headaches since i'm learning as i go.

couple of more questions: i believe i won't need the transmission cooling lines anymore so i just cap the ends on the radiator?

other than dropping the steering column to change the pedal box, anything else i should consider?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
should not have to drop the pedal box , you need the extra long bolt & extra support bracket + the pedal is all

booyaballer

Reaction score
I'd like to thank everyone for their tips and this awesome forum for the assist. I completed my SST TKO install and test drove it yesterday. I have to tidy up some things but the heavy lifting is done. Thank you all again!

fasjac

Reaction score
I'd like to thank everyone for their tips and this awesome forum for the assist. I completed my SST TKO install and test drove it yesterday. I have to tidy up some things but the heavy lifting is done. Thank you all again!
I hope you love it! It’s a very nice upgrade. Enjoy

Drivun

Reaction score
Well done! After that, everything else you do will be comparatively easy ! Enjoy!

Back