• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Trunk floor replacement. Advice needed.

btceng

Reaction score
It's time to start on my trunk floor replacement. I have recently purchased a plasma cutter and have not cut the old part out yet. I would appreciate some advice. I am considering not cutting it all the way apart but rather cutting back to just before the seams and welding over the old seam. I'm not sure that I can handle total replacement.

Can you do a full floor through the trunk opening or do I need to get a 2 piece replacement? I also have a patch to make on the seam on the p/s inner and outer wheelhouse. Trunk extension on p/s should be replaced also.

HHHHHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!

ramenth

Reaction score
Taillight panel still in place? If you wanna do a whole trunk floor you should take it out of the way. I'd do it anyway and here's why: the entire one piece trunk floor is a better option and less work. Believe it or not, even with taking the taillight panel out, it's still less work as you don't have to weld up the seam.

A plasma cutter will help you in removal of the old as you can chunk it up and take it out in smaller pieces, but you still need to drill the spot welds along the frame rails, the wheel houses, where the extenders weld to the quarters, and the seam where it meets the floor board extender over the axle.

Yes, remove it there, too. If you don't you'll get a gap that's gonna take a lot of seam sealer, that you won't be able to guarantee that the seam sealer will work it's way into, and moisture can get it and start the rust process all over again.

btceng

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I have read through the process but drilling out all of those welds scares the heck out of me. If I'm honest, it could go for lower patches on both quarters and a new valance too. Maybe I need to just go for it. Getting to the trunk floor extensions would be easier with the lower quarters gone as well. My welding is fine for spots and hidden areas but I don't know about those lower quarter patches. I have the wire welder, flange/punch tool, and the basic understanding of technique. I lack confidence and experience. Sounds like the problem with the first date.....lol:)

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Use AMD panels and go for it! By the time you get to doing the quarter patches you will have built some confidence. Do some practice welds on your scrap metal everyday you work on it and you'll be fine. Most imprtantly, weld using techniques that don't build heat to minimize warpage on your outer body panels. We can talk more about it as you get yourself set up.

ramenth

Reaction score
Don't let drilling the spot welds intimidate you. It's just sheetmetal. Get a good cutter if you already don't have one and go to town. If you drill all the way through on occasion, it happens to the best of us. I can guarantee you there's a lot of experienced collision guys out there that still do this on occasion (I'm one of 'em).

AlleyoopMgv

Reaction score
Great advice ramenth, I drill one all the way through once and a while.

btceng, you just gotta go for it! It ain't nothing that can't be fixed!

btceng

Reaction score
I do have the cutter, welder, and copper spoon for the plug welds. As I've said, I don't mind the hidden welds, it's the panels that scare me. Would I need cross braces in the trunk when removing the floor and tail panel?

Back