• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Trunk lid or any rubber bumpers for that matter...

Ronbo73

Reaction score
Hello,
Has anyone tried to install the rubber bumpers on the trunk lid, hood, doors etc. and ripped off the nipple rendering the bumper useless? I have.... Does anyone have any good tricks to install them?
I used dish soap and a small screwdriver which didn't work. I think I need something with a blunt end but small. Any and all suggestions would be helpful. I just don't want to buy more rubber bumpers if I can help it. Thank you.

pschlosser

Reaction score
soap and water is what I use. using liquid dish soap in a 50/50 mixture with water, apply to both the bumper nipple and the metal surface using a old tooth brush, press together and twist.

Some bumpers I've used were a little firm, and warming them up in the sun before application seemed to help.

Ronbo73

Reaction score
@pschlosser I was thinking of putting them in the sun or very warm/hot water. Ill try that with the 50/50 mix of soap. Thanks
@Xcudame If the soap thing doesn't work I'll try the jelly route. Might be a little tough explaining why I'm buying it.... lol

I'll post my results.

Xcudame

Reaction score
I was just thinking of something quick. Any silicone spray will work. I think WD40 makes a silicone spray even. Vaseline (petroleum jelly) will work as well. Doesn't take much.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
All the above is good info and techniques. I Think I heard Vaseline was the go to item back in the day. Allowed for easer insertion easy clean up and undetectable. That's what I heard I can't attest to that. I just used force and a little twist both ways.
I know one thing I don't like is sticking my finger in the hole in the rear and a little tweak down to check it. It really smells bad, you know you have to smell it to know if it's good.😝😝

pschlosser

Reaction score
I was just thinking of something quick. Any silicone spray will work. I think WD40 makes a silicone spray even. Vaseline (petroleum jelly) will work as well. Doesn't take much.
Whatever you use, consider what the cleanup will look like. I vote water-soluble lubrication.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
For the round bumpers, use the hole in the center. Put a blunt object in the hole and push the bumper into the sheet metal hole. Did you use those holes in the bumpers?
The other bumpers definitely need lubricant as stated above.
1692326511817.png

heminut

Reaction score
For the round bumpers, use the hole in the center. Put a blunt object in the hole and push the bumper into the sheet metal hole. Did you use those holes in the bumpers?
The other bumpers definitely need lubricant as stated above.
View attachment 110949
I tried that, used a pin punch that just fit the hole. All I accomplished was separating the nipple from the bumper. I used silicone lube and twisted while pushing in and it still separated.

heminut

Reaction score
Repainted cars can end up with a bit of paint in the holes. Your call on reaming the holes to remove some paint.
That could have been my problem, I put mine in just after the car had been painted and I never thought about paint buildup. Good call!

Ronbo73

Reaction score
@MoparCarGuy I tried to use the hole with a 7/64 ball end of an Allen wrench and lubrication (dish soap & water mix) with no luck. The Allen wrench just pushed through the end of the bumper.
I never thought to ream the holes out slightly, that would have been the way to go I think. I struggled getting them in and a lot of cussing....

Back