• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Under Hood light in 72 cuda??

hsb shadow

Reaction score
I'm putting my engine bay together and I was wondering if an underhood light was an option because I have a map light as well as a trunk light on my car . I also have a light which might have served as an underhood light in the parts bin I got with the car. Any pictures would be appreciated. Thank you

Xcudame

Reaction score
My 70 Challenger has option A01 Light Package. It has the Map light, Glove box light and Trunk light. No under hood light. In fact, I've never seen an E-Body with a factory under hood light. I looked at my wiring diagrams and none show a hood lamp.

fasjac

Reaction score
I have the light package as well and have never seen one on an E body.
But, you can surely make it happen if you want.

hsb shadow

Reaction score
I was actually considering that but decided to leave things original since it's a matching number car and I even have the original carb, brake booster and master cylinder with their brass tags still intact.

Katfish

Reaction score
Although not stock, an under hood light would be a nice addition.
Anyone have details that has added one?
Seems simple enough, light socket and a switch to activate.
The details of what and where for the parts would help.

hsb shadow

Reaction score
I put a few in other cars. You simply need to order one that has a built-in Mercury switch and you just run a power wire back to either the battery or the fuse box. Light bulb frame is screwed into the hood and is grounded that way. Classic industries sells a universal one which is part number 748863. This is made by OER. Good luck

Katfish

Reaction score
I have a fiberglass hood, so would need to add a pressure switch and/or ground wire, further complicating things.
That GM switch looks interesting for a stock steel hood.

hsb shadow

Reaction score
I would just run the second wire with the power wire as a ground wire and screw that into your firewall somewhere

hsb shadow

Reaction score
Obviously attach the ground wire to the housing of the light. I really like the look for the part number I gave you a it pretty much looks like all the old style under hood lights

sixpactogo

Reaction score
Although not stock, an under hood light would be a nice addition.
Anyone have details that has added one?
Seems simple enough, light socket and a switch to activate.
The details of what and where for the parts would help.
I added one on my 65 Fury. I removed it from a wrecked 2000 Dodge Durango. It mounts with one screw and has a mercury switch that activates the light when you open the hood. You can tap any 12V source under the hood.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Harvest a hood light set up from a 72-76 C body. Some of those models did receive factory hood light set ups. Or use a trunk light set up from a cuda.
Better than putting a GM or Ferd part on your mopar.

Back