• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Value on 72 cuda B5 340 4 speed white interior

1972CudaV21

Reaction score
pass side
he's asking 50k was the guys dad's car restored nut & bolt back in late 80's 90's

View attachment 81411
I‘m thinking $40k...I passed on one like it in the mid-80’s because it had rotted rear quarters and $1k was too much then😀 I ended up buying a nice 1972 318 Barracuda for $1,200. It was my high school car for ‘84-‘86..

wantonebadebody

Reaction score
I‘m thinking $40k...I passed on one like it in the mid-80’s because it had rotted rear quarters and $1k was too much then😀 I ended up buying a nice 1972 318 Barracuda for $1,200. It was my high school car.
I'm thinking 40k also he said he is neg. he also just bought a TRX
Also tons of paperwork build sheet etc..

1972CudaV21

Reaction score
For a 72? That’s 70-71 territory.
Show me a 1971 ‘Cuda in that condition for $40k..

1616875748501.png

T2R9

Reaction score
He will get 40k for that car if it presents as good in person. Prices are up and its a 4-speed Cuda. The demand is there.

Montclaire

Reaction score
Maybe I need more insurance.

Mine is a 1974 Barracuda, originally 318/auto swapped to a 1967 440. Factory G8/white stripe/white top/white interior (no vinyl now), factory Raisin Bran hood, 14” rallyes, HD suspension, standard dash/AM radio/non-AC.

Car has new quarters but otherwise I think it’s all original metal. Has some patches underneath and frame ties. Needs full interior but it’s all there. About 60k miles on the clock and bought from the original owner. Came with the original window sticker and factory polyglass spare. Even still has the stupid 74 seatbelt safety relay.

32158F38-F546-4711-85AF-C1A8BCB84435.jpeg

CF7D94D1-462B-4577-AA7A-FD4D181B0047.jpeg

Last edited:

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
Beautiful car, but then again I'm partial to the B5.

And therein lies the trick. What's more valuable to one person is not true of everyone.

Perfect example: There's a "restomod" '72 Challenger for sale on eBay right now. I prefer the '72 to the '71, but apparently the builder didn't agree so it's got the earlier grille and taillamp panel. The seller wants $149,995 for it, but in an open auction for the car that ended last night, the winning bid (reserve not met) was only $22,100 after 20 bids.

To the seller, the car's worth $150K. To the interested people actually bidding, it was worth more than an eighth of a million dollars less. To me $22,100 is more than the car's worth, based on terrible attention to detail and obvious corner-cutting throughout (the paint is tragic). Whatever's been invested means nothing, because it's to the owner's personal taste. Clearly that's not for everyone... or in this case, anyone.
Not meaning to hijack, but I'm still learning here. Can you give some specifics as to the obvious corner cutting? I agree that I don't see a $150,000 car here, but it's also hard for me to really see the details to pick out corner-cutting.

NoCar340

Reaction score
Just off the top of my head:
  • No door panel inserts. Not modified or "upgraded", just missing.
  • Deleted marker lamps. He wanted it to look like a '71, but not enough to do it right.
  • Cheapest steering wheel in the E-body catalog, and wasn't used in '71.
  • The paint looks like a quilt; no two panels match. The car was obviously panel-painted, clearcoat and all.
  • The cluster panel looks like a 14-year-old's shop project. The switch label peeled from the original switch panel's a cheesy touch.
  • No finish work around the shifter, just let it all hang out.
  • Nightmarish underhood plumbing. It looks like a plumbing store erupted in there.
  • Fuel tank: Are you serious?
That's just from memory. I'm sure perusal further would net more results.

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
I appreciate it, it really was an honest question from me. At first I only saw the few pictures that eBay had in the listing, but now I see many more in the description. I also see what you're talking about. Also, why would they leave the flywheel uncovered like that? And I agree on the switch label - like if you're gonna do a custom cluster, why "borrow" the original label? Just go full custom. It looks half-assed.

Anyway, sorry to hijack, back to the subject at hand!

NoCar340

Reaction score
I appreciate it, it really was an honest question from me.
I figured it was, considering the difference between the max bid in the open auction and the now-asking price. Even I was surprised it didn't go a bit higher.

At first, it looks like a pretty nice ride (although the paint mismatch jumped out at me immediately) but as the old saying goes, the devil's in the details... and the details on that car are not inspiring in the least.

Cojohnso

Reaction score
A 1972 Plymouth Barracuda 340 4-speed in solid #2 condition? $32,898. I HAVE SPOKEN! (Unless 2 or more disagree? Thus then I'm wrong.)

Montclaire

Reaction score
A 1972 Plymouth Barracuda 340 4-speed in solid #2 condition? $32,898.

For a really good example, sure. That's assuming all numbers matching and restored to what's on the fender tag. Date code repop parts, proper finishes, replicated assembly line splotches, etc.

Matt M

Reaction score
I think if the car checks out it should pull 40K
Cuda's have really gone up, they have always been expensive.
I think most guys are priced out of the 70's and 71's so they are going after the 72's and up.

I watch these cars pretty close.
Good 70's are now well over 50K
71's are now easily pulling 65K and up.....mostly UP!

I have been in the market for a good 70 340 4 Speed for quite a while.....Still looking
I am a buyer.

Back