• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

values on 73-74 Challengers/Cudas

mopar4me

Reaction score
Oh man, its scary to hear those prices, I've been thinkin on selling my car, but I don't want to give it away for that kind of money, I paid for mine just under
5k back in 72 and I don't want to sell for almost the same price 40 years later:sad3:

ramenth

Reaction score
Oh man, its scary to hear those prices, I've been thinkin on selling my car, but I don't want to give it away for that kind of money, I paid for mine just under
5k back in 72 and I don't want to sell for almost the same price 40 years later:sad3:

Unless it's a must to sell your car (you absolutely have to have the cash to save your house or something drastic like that) then I'd sit on it. Cost little to nothing to store and maintain. It's not like a pet, you don't have to feed it or water it or pet it and love on it. The market is in fluctuation. It always has been. It comes and goes with the stock market. As stocks devalue a lot of folks move from paper to real assets. Everything collectible starts going up, from cars, to coins, to comic books. Look at the late '80's going into the '90's.

In this cycle, a lot of people are moving to commodities, as Leo's pointed out. A lot of folks have moved to silver and gold, yet smaller collectibles are starting to move. But it's got to be rare to garner attention these days. A lot of speculators got educated the last go around.

There's absolutely no sense in taking a bath on it just to sell it. Especially if you have the means to store it yourself - your own garage, being able to do your own maintenance, being able to drive it when you want to.

74 challenger

Reaction score
I drove 8 hrs one way to look at a 2 tag challenger. Had to walk away do to no garage and it was not water tight. Good luck on your search.

mopar4me

Reaction score
Well I don't need to sell it, is just that the car has been sitting all its life, and now it needs a paint job, and a few parts that got thrown out, like wheel moldings, rear valance, mirrors, head lights bezels, hoodlip(molding) and I also need a head liner, and a front seat recovered; By
Unless it's a must to sell your car (you absolutely have to have the cash to save your house or something drastic like that) then I'd sit on it. Cost little to nothing to store and maintain. It's not like a pet, you don't have to feed it or water it or pet it and love on it. The market is in fluctuation. It always has been. It comes and goes with the stock market. As stocks devalue a lot of folks move from paper to real assets. Everything collectible starts going up, from cars, to coins, to comic books. Look at the late '80's going into the '90's.

In this cycle, a lot of people are moving to commodities, as Leo's pointed out. A lot of folks have moved to silver and gold, yet smaller collectibles are starting to move. But it's got to be rare to garner attention these days. A lot of speculators got educated the last go around.

There's absolutely no sense in taking a bath on it just to sell it. Especially if you have the means to store it yourself - your own garage, being able to do your own maintenance, being able to drive it when you want to.

cavemanno1

Reaction score
Sorry for bringing back this old thread.
I'm new to 'cudas and just want your 2 cent on today's prices.Looking at 'cudas i can not find anything under 20k,not even a project '74 with non matching numbers.Prices are really gone up that much?
If i could find one for 7-8k that like they were in '08 i'd be a happy camper.

seneca

Reaction score
If it were 08 again, I'd buy me a boat load of Amazon stock and sit back to watch all the money roll in!!! Seriously, if you search the internet you'll find some 72-3-&4 Cudas in good shape for between $12,000 to $17,000. 70 & 71, that's a different story; they are going to be considerably more for something than runs. Good luck in your search.

pete9857

Reaction score
If you want a numbers matching 340, 4speed, factory air that's had all the hard & expensive body work done already, look at my add in the classified.
There's 20k in parts & body work at least already done. It's a pretty rare 73 , special ordered.

cavemanno1

Reaction score
If you want a numbers matching 340, 4speed, factory air that's had all the hard & expensive body work done already, look at my add in the classified.
There's 20k in parts & body work at least already done. It's a pretty rare 73 , special ordered.

Hi!
Seen your ad and that was the reason i wrote here.Above your post the guy said for a nice '72/3/4 cuda the price could be between 12-17k and that's a nice running driving car.Yours is a project at most with drivetrain to be rebuilt which 10k at least plus paint 10-15k so there is 45kat least plus the smaller stuff which really ads up.Don't meant to disrespect you in any way i just would like to do my homework.Although i haven't seen a nice '72/3/4 cuda anywhere near 17k so maybe the previous guy's estimate was off,don't know.Sure i'd like to have a nice '73 4 speed 'cuda for 20k but i have not seen one yet so far.
Thanks for your time posting.

AUSTA

Reaction score
Like everybody says right now is the time to buy ! If you have some extra coin and are thinking of your future in this economy,, BUY GOLD and SILVER, Prices are lower than normal right now and ready to go up with the falling dollar. Silver is your best bet and very reasonable to buy right now. E--bodies are more realistic in price than they have been for years. Just do your shopping and you can do well right now.
If your buying gold,silver or platinum go for the raw product or well priced highly collectibles when you sell it to a dealer they only pay for the metal value not the collectible value.
Buy low sell high.
I purchased a heap of gold & silver in the crash of 08 everyone said i was mad i sold it 6 months later & made 240,000 enough to buy a couple of nice Challengers

pete9857

Reaction score
Hi!
Seen your ad and that was the reason i wrote here.Above your post the guy said for a nice '72/3/4 cuda the price could be between 12-17k and that's a nice running driving car.Yours is a project at most with drivetrain to be rebuilt which 10k at least plus paint 10-15k so there is 45kat least plus the smaller stuff which really ads up.Don't meant to disrespect you in any way i just would like to do my homework.Although i haven't seen a nice '72/3/4 cuda anywhere near 17k so maybe the previous guy's estimate was off,don't know.Sure i'd like to have a nice '73 4 speed 'cuda for 20k but i have not seen one yet so far.
Thanks for your time posting.

No problem, I couldn't find one either. I'm very picky. I believe my Cuda correctly restored will be worth 35+. Try to find a numbers matching car with all the options it has. I just can't work on it now because of my business & family stuff. If it don't sell, it will get finished eventually. Happy hunting!

73Barracuda

Reaction score
Things to remember,

If your buying E bodies/mopars for a return on investment and don't have your own shop, you need to go back to investment school. I'm in the Los Angeles area and have been looking for a car for the last 5 years. Finally picked up a flat hood 73 barracuda the seller was asking 13k for. Only rust was a small spot in the back window, original interior needing help(way easy to replace), and ground issues in the dash. Other than that I got a running 318, original metal, daily driver ready to make me happy! You have to find, buy, and build what you are prepared for. If your not comfortable spending money on a car that needs work, Just wait until you start digging into the car and find the real problems that are going to really add up and make you regret your choice. If the monetary end result is your concern, buy a car somebody else who wasted their money on it and you can personal capitalize from.

Just my 2C

Last edited:

sportster2000

Reaction score
I bought my rolling chassis with engine and trans non numbers matching back in 2009 for 7k. I have put much more into it now that that and it still isn't done. Next time I will buy one that is already together and running.

Back