• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Watching graveyard carz and have a question

Cudachuck

Reaction score
Is it possible to have a hemi with ac in a cuda? Thought i heard mark say that no cudas came with a hemi and ac cause there is not enough room for it under the hood? Does anyone have a ac hemi cuda? Thanks

tonysrt

Reaction score
The 2 4bbls. left no room for the compressor and the air cleaner and probably everything else needed.

Ele115

Reaction score
No A/C in multi carb cars from Chrysler. You can do yours if you want with aftermarket and hide most of it.

Cudachuck

Reaction score
No A/C in multi carb cars from Chrysler. You can do yours if you want with aftermarket and hide most of it.
Are you saying i couldnt use original ac parts from my cuda and just drop a 426 in? Do i have to use a aftermarket kit?

moparleo

Reaction score
There are no original gen II Hemi a/c parts. If you ahve the Hemi in your car right now you can see the chalenges of doing it. But aftermarket setups move the compressor, which will have to be a Sanden type to fit down low. The oe compressor has no where to go. It is the size of a lawnmower engine.

Ele115

Reaction score
As Mopar Leo said, the Airtemp V-Twin is too big. If you're saying you have an A/C car right now, that's great. You have all the factory A/C dash stuff and evap etc. Like he said, you go with different pulleys and a Sanden type and it will go down low by the right motor mount. The factory A/C parts are probably the most important part to having it turn out nice, so you can buy the pulleys and the other odds and ends or get the retro kit. It's just that in 1970 everybody had huge compressors so the 2 or 3 carbs being in a straight line were an issue. GM put their huge Harrison compressor off to one side, so tri-powers weren't an issue. Ford had the big York compressors and they were huge like MoPars was.

Cudachuck

Reaction score
As Mopar Leo said, the Airtemp V-Twin is too big. If you're saying you have an A/C car right now, that's great. You have all the factory A/C dash stuff and evap etc. Like he said, you go with different pulleys and a Sanden type and it will go down low by the right motor mount. The factory A/C parts are probably the most important part to having it turn out nice, so you can buy the pulleys and the other odds and ends or get the retro kit. It's just that in 1970 everybody had huge compressors so the 2 or 3 carbs being in a straight line were an issue. GM put their huge Harrison compressor off to one side, so tri-powers weren't an issue. Ford had the big York compressors and they were huge like MoPars was.
So your saying i would need to get everything from the firewall to engine.... But everthing o. The insode of the dash will still work? Or do i need a new hearter box from a kit?

70chall440

Reaction score
If you are wanting to look factory then you need an AC dash (assuming your car is not a factory AC car) factory AC box with control panel as well as the compressor, the condenser, lines, etc. on the engine side. If however you go with something like Vintage Air then you will get a box and controls along with all of the stuff for under the hood.

Cudachuck

Reaction score
If you are wanting to look factory then you need an AC dash (assuming your car is not a factory AC car) factory AC box with control panel as well as the compressor, the condenser, lines, etc. on the engine side. If however you go with something like Vintage Air then you will get a box and controls along with all of the stuff for under the hood.
My cida is a factory ac car. I have the ac dash and vents but i dont have the ac heater box or anything on the engine side... Will the aftermarlet ac heater box hook up to the factory vent?

70chall440

Reaction score
It is not going to be "plug and play" there will be some fabrication required to make it all work with the factory dash.

tonysrt

Reaction score
I had asked one of the after market A/C guys about using factory dash outlets and he said matching the duct work to the factory outlets was a problem. This was several years ago, so maybe they have solved that problem. Evidently they were using a different size outlet that would be under the dash like the Dusters are.

Avalanche

Reaction score
If you want to use the factory ac ducts, you need to use all factory components on the inside of car. I think the engine side can be be all.modern and work fine.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
If you have an A/C car use it. use the A/C components inside or find them.I think it would make sence and cost effective. The componants under the hood are the one that wear.buy new. I have seen under hood component kits. If need be a good A/C shop can make up lines to a desired length and get the components you need. The only thing might be finiding the A/C bracket pulleys you need. the others advice I would say is good. An A/c firewall should look similar to this one.

Attachments

• challenger firewall  ac 3.jpg
    challenger firewall ac 3.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 187

Ele115

Reaction score
Since you have an A/C car, that's a great start. The dash will look fine and the firewall should work. Get a GOOD evap that transfers heat efficiently (cools your car) and move on to the engine compartment. That's not as hard as you think. I have used the 440 double groove pulleys on the Hemi. The compressor just goes into a different location. Different length belts. You just have to get a Sanden with double groove and make or buy the bracket and find a spot on the bottom then get the right length belts. Buses run double groove Sandens. Hook it up and service as you would a 440 4 Barrel car. Get your lines made if you don't have the crimping too. I paid $600 for a "Hydra Crimp" years ago and it paid itself off after the second time. Contact Vintage air and ask them about selling you just the mount for the 426 Hemi and the pulleys.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
The aftermarket A/C will hook up to your factory dash vents using the hoses they provide in the kits. Just jam the hoses into the factory vent (see pic).

I have a factory-air 340 Cuda with a Classic Auto Air kit. New Sanden R134a compressor, underdash box, evaporator, heater core, heater control valve, drier, condenser, and all lines, etc. It is all in the kit. You should check out both Vintage and Classic to see which you prefer. There are control panel and cable versus servo differences that may sway you one way or the other.

I also used aftermarket March pulleys and brackets (powder coated satin black) for the compressor, water pump, power steering pump, alternator, and crank pulley. Two gilmer tooth belts (flat serpentine-style) drive everything with March turnbuckles to tension the belts. No belts slipping or flying off at high RPM, ever. It is a rare occasion that anyone even notices the drive belts are not V-belts. LOL And these belts have been on the car since 2000.

I installed my kit over 13 years ago and it runs the same today as the day I charged the system. The cost to do everything adds up quickly but that 40°F air blowing out the vents is worth it. You will not regret it.

Engine with AC Compressor and Hoses.jpeg

Drive Belts for ALT-Water Pump-Compressor.jpeg

Compressor Orientation.jpeg

March Water Pump Pulley and Belts.jpeg

AC and Heater Hoses thru Firewall.jpeg

AC and Heater Hoses thru Firewall with Drier.jpeg

AC Box and Fan.jpegDuct Hoses to Center FACE Vents on Dash.jpeg

Non-AC Controls with Driver Vent from Kit.jpeg

Last edited:
Back