• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

WTB Water Pump Pulley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odin

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
Can anyone help me find the right water pump pulley.

My 1969 440 swap appears to be originally an AC setup. The crank pulley has four grooves and the alternator has two grooves. There is no AC compressor, just an idler pulley. The water pump has a single groove pulley that is very shallow.
There is no belt on the rear-most groove of the crank pulley and alt pulley. The next groove forward runs a belt from the crank pulley to alt pulley. The next groove forward runs a belt from crank pulley to power steering pump. The front-most groove runs a belt around crank, water pump, and idler pulley. I want to eliminate the idler pulley and run a larger belt around crank/water pump/power steering pump.

I know I have to change the water pump pulley to one that has a groove one notch back from the one I have now. I don't care if it is a single or double groove pulley as long as the groove lines up with the crank and power steering pump pulleys. The groove center on my current water pump pulley is 7/8" from the front edge. I need the new groove to be about 1-9/16" from the front edge.

I've looked at other pulleys online but the deeper ones are WAY deeper and some folks even talk about them hitting the water pump bolts. I don't need anything that deep, just the equivalent of one groove to the next.

Here is my current setup

2018-05-02 004.JPG

Last edited:

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I helped a fellow from Norway with some pulleys. If you search this site for "pulley problems", I gave him measurements and part numbers of pulleys off a 70 440 non a/c equipped engine. PM me if you need more info. I'm not sure you can mix and match a/c and non a/c pulleys and brackets. I used to save all pulleys and brackets from non a/c equipped 383 and 440 engines just for this reason, so I could use a/c equipped engines in non a/c cars.
Ken

Odin

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. What’s the distance from top (front surface when mounted) of that water pump pulley to center of groove and how wide is the groove? Also, what is the outer diameter of the pulley?

Last edited:

paris401

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry for late reply- will measure this afternoon n reply

Odin

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the photos. I might have miscommunicated but I need the water pump/fan pulley and you photos seem to show a crank pulley. Also, I need the measurements from the front surface of the water pump pulley to the groove center(s).

Odin

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the water pump pulley I have now. Instead, I need a groove about 1-9/16 back from the front surface of the pulley so it will line up with my PS pulley and the second groove on my crank pulley

2951BA34-CD6F-4194-8D53-B4004BC87138.jpeg

20BABDC1-0BA4-43BF-B923-61B44A0B7A7B.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back