• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

What are the best carburetor for a 540 Hemi.?

aussiemark

Reaction score
The original Hemi carbs were Carter AFB the next series were Carter AVS (not used on any Hemi) then they finished with the Thermoquad on 71 and latter cars (again not on any Hemi) I don't think you can't get new Carter carbs but Edelbrock copied the design and had them made by Weber there are some differences the Edelbrock ones have Torx screws and the metering rods and some other parts are not interchangeable with the original Carter carbs also they have that polished finish which looks different. I think the Performer series are the AFB copies and the Thunder series are the AVS copies. I am sure 2 of these will support 7-800 hp.

mmissile

Reaction score
If you're going single 4bbl.....look into one of the custom carb-builders, that modify Holleys. I've always been a Carter fan, but different stuff, for different needs. Usage will determine what carb to use, also.

hellrats

Reaction score
I have always had great results with the Elelbrock carbs. I have put three AVS 2 carbs on cars this last summer and they all ran great. I'm sure they would feed a Hemi just fine. Holley carbs work good as well but you need to be a little better at tuning them.

JurgenS

Reaction score
Why use a carb? I can understand that in case you would like to preserve the originality of the car but since your motor will be a 540...

Go EFI :lol:

BcudaChris

Reaction score
My multi-carb experience is near zero, but given the nature of the question and how it was asked, my advice to the OP would be to look into 650 Street Demons, dial them in and enjoy. Won't make the most power, but manners will be impeccable.

If you have a cam with a decent amount of overlap though, Holley style carbs would be your best bet IMHO. The have the adjustability to get a good idle with the funky idle vacuum profile of high overlap cams.

Ive run 80's Carter AFB Competition Series carbs (cast by Weber) and if you can round a couple of those up, you can use newer Edelbrock calibration tables, jets, rods etc. to get you in the ball park. Honestly though, I'd do two new AFB's before messing with the Carters. The Carters (the ones I've had anyway) have things like bowl vents that go to the vapor canister and in recent years, I could not get them to idle anything other than pig rich before I gave up and went to a 4150 style. I believe this is due to them being manufactured with gasoline in mind, and not E10 so the fixed idle passages are too big or something.

hellrats

Reaction score
The Edelbrock number system is different than the Carter was on the rods and jets. You can get into a lot of headaches switching them around. Even the new AVS 2 has a different numbering system yet. Last time I checked they didn't have the calibration tables out yet for the AVS 2.
I never had good luck with the idle of the Carters either. The Edelborck is a better carb for sure. The Street Demon is a good choice too.

Back