• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

What is the upside down "U" shaped hole in the 587 heads?

zeus

Reaction score
My intake manifold was cracked. I lucked out and found a local guy selling a used edelbrock 3776 aluminum intake for cheap. Got my old heavy cracked manifold out (53lbs vs 23lbs according to my scale, BTW) and tried to put the edelbrock in and it doesn't cover these upside down "U" shaped holes, which are right above the egr port.

The 3776 is year correct for my 1973, and looking at images the non-egr manifold still wouldn't cover these holes. If I leave the manifold in there the holes in the head would be exposed to engine air. What gives? Where do the holes go? The gasket even has slots for the holes, so obviously fel-pro knows heads better than edelbrock... Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Thanks

Sorry I couldnt find the answer in search. Edit: found a pic!

febo.jpg

Last edited:

burntorange70

Reaction score
It does not get covered. My stock intake on my 340 does not cover that U either. Jut the way it is. Stuff likes to fall in there.

zeus

Reaction score
How strange. Thanks for the quick response. Going to try and think of good use for such a thing, other than to catch random junk I accidentally drop in there...

mopar410

Reaction score
I've always known they were useless but lately i seen that the hole below the slot is for heating the intake in cold weather so I "guess" it has something to do with that.

Back