• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

What is this red knob beside the shifter?

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I had a quick question I came into possession of a 1973 Dodge Challenger that has a 4 speed transmission out of a 1970 roadrunner & I was wondering what this red knob was beside my shifter. I posted

B67A1B9C-7036-4B8A-9738-4263E783E4E4.jpeg

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Does it work? Remember it but not who made it.comes to mind Inland or Mr Gasket shifted? was it a knock off of hurst?

Last edited:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
It prevents mis-shifting into reverse , yes 2 handed operation
The V gate had a similar feature but 1 handed operation at least

Challenged

Reaction score
It's a Hurst Super Shifter with reverse lockout. The red lever - lockout, simply went up and down to engage and disengage. It did not require the use of two hands. The lockout was intended to prevent from accidently going into reverse while hard shifting. I had one of these in a Challenger. Never really found the lockout necessary. There were also, straight shifting rods which you could purchase / use with this shifter. However, the straight rods, relocated the factory shifter position higher on the transmission. The idea was to make the shifting more like a ram-rod / race setup.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I
It's a Hurst Super Shifter with reverse lockout. The red lever - lockout, simply went up and down to engage and disengage. It did not require the use of two hands. The lockout was intended to prevent from accidently going into reverse while hard shifting. I had one of these in a Challenger. Never really found the lockout necessary. There were also, straight shifting rods which you could purchase / use with this shifter. However, the straight rods, relocated the factory shifter position higher on the transmission. The idea was to make the shifting more like a ram-rod / race setup.
That's right,It slide up and down and stayed put. Correct?

Reaction score
Thank you very much!

Back