• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

What part goes here, under tail lights ......

bandit 73

Reaction score
Pulled the tail lights and removed rear bumper and noticed all the holes, about 6 inches apart, and it appears I am missing a strip of some sort. I looking over the body service manual I could not find anything listed so, not sure what I am looking for.....thanks...

IMG_0231.jpg

moparleo

Reaction score
It is a rubber filler to fill the gap between the tail panel and the extended bumper. In 1973 the Feds mandated a 5 mph bumper, ( a requirement to limit body damage after hitting a fixed barrier @ 5mph. Intended to limit body $$$ damage at low speeds) on all cars. Different manufacturers did it in different ways to comply. Some used collapsing bumper mounts, Chrysler used extended bumpers and large bumper guards.

bandit 73

Reaction score
Thanks leo, in searching my aftermarket catalogs only thing I can find is listed as a 70-71 rear bumper filler panel, but states its metal. Don t think this is it. If it is only for a 73 model only the repop folks may not be making one. Am I going to have to find a used one....

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
the part for 70 that is steel will work great as long as you have the bumpers moved in flush which looks a lot better anyway so you could just use different bumper mounts with the 70 panel , probably a lot easier to find the 70 parts .

bandit 73

Reaction score
Ok, thanks CP, just may go that route, will see if I can get one in the mail coming this way....

moparleo

Reaction score
Only available used. Post a want add a lot of guys with post 72 cars have changed to earlier bumper brackets and bumpers and probably still have the old parts.

Good luck either way.

Back