• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

What shorty headers for my 360

Moparmark

Reaction score
I'm installing a 360 in my 73 Challenger and I was thinking about putting in ceramic shorty headers. What is the best brand to buy? Keep in mind a modest budget and I don't want to make a bunch of modifications. Plus will I need to purchase a mini starter? Thanks for the help. Mark

moparleo

Reaction score
What is the purpose of shorty headers ? What is your budget ? Ceramic headers are expensive. The brand of headers will dictate what other things will be required to accommodate the header options. Your question is very broad. Cheap does not mean economical. The more you spend, the more you get. TTI, Hooker, Hedman, Dougs,.. take your pick. All are good. except for TTI you just have to shop around. Never know when somebody is having a sale.

Adam

Reaction score
Whatever headers you go with, except maybe TTI, you will have unexpected issues. Since the headers will not bolt up to the factory head pipes you will need to modify at least the front of the exhaust system. Probably a good time to replace the whole thing, and get maximum power & sound. Plus you will likely need a mini starter and with economy headers you will also likely have exhaust leaks; I have been there, done that...use Remflex gaskets http://catalog.remflex.com/MOPAR_Header_Exhaust_Manifold_Gasket_p/6003.htm

This all adds up $$$, maybe stay with manifolds for awhile and save for a whole TTI system.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
You may be better off with a set of the Magnum exhaust manifolds from the wreckers , they are some of the best flowing manifolds made for the small block & you will not have problems with burnt ign wires etc .

Moparmark

Reaction score
Thank you for all the advise. I talked to TTI and was impressed with their help. My goal with the shorty was to minimize any modifications. (see Big F Hammer ) TTI said I can get away with a set of long headers and not have to use the mini starter. I will need to re-route the linkage on the automatic transmission(on the column), but they sell that too. I do plan on changing over from a single exhaust to a dual x pipe.

Bill

Reaction score
I put my TTi shorty's on a few months ago. The thing I liked about them is you can just bolt them on without needing to put the car on a lift, more ground clearance and I can take my stock starter off without needing to take the header off. I got the polished ceramic and they look great and don't get as hot as straight steel. I purchased mine from Rob's Rod Shop out of Downingtown, PA. TTi does not do credit cards or pay pal or anything like that. I was very pleased with Rob's Rod shop. They were very helpful. http://robsrodshop.com/

Moparmark

Reaction score
Bill, Did you pick up the TTI shortys from Robs or did they ship. What did that set you back?

Bill

Reaction score
Bill, Did you pick up the TTI shortys from Robs or did they ship. What did that set you back?

The polished ceramic coated headers with the exhaust pipes and mufflers less the trumpet tips totaled about $1,600 with freight. Rob's sold to me at the listed price on the TTi website. TTi's website has prices listed on it. Customer service is great at Rob's. Very friendly to deal with. They own and drive a 73 Challenger.
001.jpg003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg

001.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

Last edited:

Coupe

Reaction score
Bill, I have a 72 Barracuda 318. I'm contemplating ordering TTI Shorty headers. Their website instruction say to install headers from underneath and remove the starter. I called TTI and the voice on the other end restated the instructions. Your statement indicates that you installed them from the top. Maybe the instructions are generic and don't pretain to E bodies. I figure you can answer that for me.
Did you have to remove the starter? I have a mini starter.
Also on the web site it states modification to the automatic transmission shifter linkage on A bodies, but dosn't specifically say not necessary on E bodies. Is that something you can comment on?

Tbone416

Reaction score
The polished ceramic coated headers with the exhaust pipes and mufflers less the trumpet tips totaled about $1,600 with freight. Rob's sold to me at the listed price on the TTi website. TTi's website has prices listed on it. Customer service is great at Rob's. Very friendly to deal with. They own and drive a 73 Challenger.
View attachment 23066View attachment 23067View attachment 23068View attachment 23069

View attachment 23066

View attachment 23067

View attachment 23068

View attachment 23069
Can you post a part number Used for the headers can't seem to find Them on TTI 's website

moparmarks

Reaction score
I've used a few sets of TTI BB and Hemi big tube headers and have always been real happy with them.
On my 72 Dart with a 5.9 Magnum and 4-spd In used their shorties and head pipes because they were the only shorties for an A body with a 4-spd. Headers fit great. Had to do a little messaging on the left head pipe but no biggie.

20190309_104358.jpg

Steve340

Reaction score
The TTI shortys do go in from the top and no need to remove starter at all. One bolt on the flange is over the starter I welded the bolt in to make it easier.

Steve340

Reaction score
That is what I have they are very easy to fit and work on.
As I said I have removed them and reinstalled them from up top so I know it can be done.

Mopar Mitch

Reaction score
I put my TTi shorty's on a few months ago. The thing I liked about them is you can just bolt them on without needing to put the car on a lift, more ground clearance and I can take my stock starter off without needing to take the header off. I got the polished ceramic and they look great and don't get as hot as straight steel. I purchased mine from Rob's Rod Shop out of Downingtown, PA. TTi does not do credit cards or pay pal or anything like that. I was very pleased with Rob's Rod shop. They were very helpful. http://robsrodshop.com/
Two Thumbs UP.. for Rob's Rod Shop.. a true Mopar guy!!!! and he sells TTi.

Back