• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Whats the best cluch for my 440 challenger ???

dentwizgen

Reaction score
Hey fellas, just got me a 70 challenger , real V code car with a six pack and super scat pac dana 4:10 rear 4-speed

The clutch is going out and seems everyone I talk with has a different opion on which kind of clutch to buy.
I am now leaning towards the centerforce duel friction. I hear that it maybe just be a bit over kill but it is user friendly and has up 90% more grab than stock.
The car has a mid level cam and the rest , as I am told ,is stock. I like to get on it once in a while and may even take it to the strip a time or two but I do city driving in it as well and don't want to have to wear my leg out pushing a clutch in.

I hear Ram clutch kits are good as well as zoom, hays etc. However I know centerforce has a good rep. But I just dont know. I don't mind spending the extra cash but I know that there are many good clutches out there that will last and do the job with out having to replace it a few years down the road.

thanks ,
clutch fused !

bossmike

Reaction score
I had a Hays in my 71 440-6 pack cuda that started slipping after only 3 years. I took the advice of a drag race shop and put in a centerforce. The pedal got lighter and after 3 years of street use, it is still performing flawlessly. It was a good choice.

happy214

Reaction score
I put a centerforce II in my gtx and cuda a few years back and I have not had any concerns or problems. The pedal was light and they grab flawlessly. You will not be disappointed...Jim

dentwizgen

Reaction score
Thanks fellas for the clutch advice. I did have a centerforce put in. Duel friction.

It's been in about a month, I have a 250 miles on it and babying it and I am not sure if is installed right or what, It seems hard to press, lets up at the top and right after I release it, I hear spring noise. Got any ideas? Or is this nature of this clutch?

bonzoro

Reaction score
I used the zoom on my 340 Challenger, IT SUX. Way too grabby for the street. It about jolts my teeth out when trying to back out of the driveway. There is not any slip to it. And, the throwout bearing (release bearing), is already growling and it was put in with the rest of the clutch assembly 300 miles ago.....
Did you remove your overcenter spring on the pedal assembly? If you use a stock style clutch, you need it, if you use an aftermarket style, you need to remove it.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I use McLeod clutches exclusively , I have had nothing but problems with Cforce

bossmike

Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by lets up at the top but is the spring noise coming from the pedal spring? Because there should not be noise coming from the cluch area.

dentwizgen

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply on the spring noise. I found out that the under dash , small return spring, was hitting the pedal lever when the pedal whas engaged. Easy fix ! Thank you !

R/T4speedconv

Reaction score
Did you check the "Z" bar pivots? They often wear and need replacement-as well as grease. That may show up as a stiff pedal.

Aussie Challenger

Reaction score
If the clutch is releasing too high it may need adjusting, it could also start slipping in this type situation.

Back