• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

What's the best way to remove the paint & prep for plastic repair on a grill?

heminut

Reaction score
Oven cleaner with lye. The ones without do not work as well. Although, I would try sanding it with 400 first.
On my grill I repaired the back side of several cracks with body panel adhesive (incredibly strong stuff, but not brittle like epoxy) and in one small place I embedded a piece of sheet metal into the adhesive for strength. You can then fix the front of the cracks with filler; sand smooth and prime with a high build , catalyzed poly primer. (Catalyzed primer is thick, easy to sand, & will prevent any incompatibility issues b/t the original paint, and whatever you top coat it with) Wet sand with 400, then 600. Then paint. Btw, this is a 71 Challenger grill, painted with Hot Rod Flatz. It’s a urethane paint, very tough. After eight years it still looks great.

View attachment 86518
That grill looks great Adam! If you aren't fixed on the textured argent that would be a great alternative. That textured argent paint is NOT cheap!

heminut

Reaction score
Can you still get the textured argent? Where?
It's still available, I did a search recently and found it but I don't remember exactly where. If somebody needs a source I'll search and find it again. The stuff was something like $30 a spray can!

Here you go, went back and found it;

The Dark Argent is what was used on the 70 Cuda grills and was what I used on mine. I think some of the Challengers had the Light Argent grills.

Last edited:

moparroy

Reaction score
Thanks that helps. Not any more $$ than the 3 cans I figured I would need to get the effect and color close. LOL.
Now the real question - 1974 Cuda - I think upper and lower grills were the light argent silver (I see they call the dark color argent gray) but I'm really not sure. They don't seem to show any samples. Anyone know?

Actually I found another reference on Roseville Moparts - looking at their samples it might be the dark...

Last edited:

robert power

Reaction score
yes sand grille as you would any other body part .prime and use glazing putty to fill imperfections . not necessary to remove all the paint unless its really bad

moparlee

Reaction score
It's still available, I did a search recently and found it but I don't remember exactly where. If somebody needs a source I'll search and find it again. The stuff was something like $30 a spray can!

Here you go, went back and found it;

The Dark Argent is what was used on the 70 Cuda grills and was what I used on mine. I think some of the Challengers had the Light Argent grills.
Herb's has it for $19 bucks.
Mopar Restoration and Performance E-BODY PAINT, Argent Paint

moparroy

Reaction score
I found a supplier of the OER paint in Canada - Moparts.ca in Windsor distributes OER stuff - same as Roseville lists.
Shipping aerosols across the border can be touchy as they are technically hazardous material - though Eastwood stuff comes no problem ground.
I ordered a can of the light argent silver - I see two replacement parts listings for '74 grille that state "correct light argent silver" paint. My one resto book states "argent silver" for '72-74 but references gray or silver-gray for some other parts in the same section. In one listing for the paint I saw the dark referred to as gray and the light as silver.
Cleaned up a couple spots on my grill and they look more bright silver and don't really have any dark spots in the paint. The only spots a bit darker than bright silver are where the plastic shows through. Looks to me like the paint coat is pretty light...
All that points to light argent silver for my '74 grille.

Cuda416

Reaction score
In a related inquiry, does anyone have the measurements needed to make a "jig" to hold grill pieces properly in order to properly position the different parts?

moparroy

Reaction score
I don't have such a thing but if you would like to take a pic and indicate what measurements you need I could likely take them from my grill - assuming it is a '72-74 Cuda you are looking for. Mine is all in one piece except for one of the end mounts that has a clean break so might need to glue that first though might be able to clamp it temp for a measure. As far as I know it is the original grill from the car

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
Got the grill yesterday, and I’m quite pleased. There are only a few very small cracks that should be pretty easy to repair. Thanks everyone for the advice!
0CAE9AE8-C1A7-4FF7-9E30-CDE7A7067C93.jpeg
87371BC3-2F61-45D9-B68F-A28555470399.jpeg
C859735D-923F-4211-97B0-9011C502A347.jpeg
2387480B-C26D-4D2A-99D7-AB57945778EB.jpeg
E61126D4-11C2-4C9E-A93F-FEA2D7853C1E.jpeg

heminut

Reaction score
Those are relatively minor cracks. Clean and epoxy the backsides of them and wherever possible cut a piece of sheetmetal to fit and epoxy it on the backside to reinforce the area. When I did mine I took my dremel tool with a small ball cutter and V'ed out the backside of the cracks before the epoxy. If you do this, be careful and try not to go all the way through. Fill and sand on the front side and then paint! :thumbsup:

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
Those are relatively minor cracks. Clean and epoxy the backsides of them and wherever possible cut a piece of sheetmetal to fit and epoxy it on the backside to reinforce the area. When I did mine I took my dremel tool with a small ball cutter and V'ed out the backside of the cracks before the epoxy. If you do this, be careful and try not to go all the way through. Fill and sand on the front side and then paint! :thumbsup:
Thanks!

Cuda416

Reaction score
I don't have such a thing but if you would like to take a pic and indicate what measurements you need I could likely take them from my grill - assuming it is a '72-74 Cuda you are looking for. Mine is all in one piece except for one of the end mounts that has a clean break so might need to glue that first though might be able to clamp it temp for a measure. As far as I know it is the original grill from the car

My grill is in pieces and the car doesn't have a front end to speak of. I'd need all of them sadly.

Cuda416

Reaction score
What year is it? Maybe send me a pm with a pic or two of the pieces. I'll see if I can make something useful for you from mine.
That's be awesome. It's a 70. Gonna be later tonight but I'm a long way from the work so feel free to take your time.

moparroy

Reaction score
That's be awesome. It's a 70. Gonna be later tonight but I'm a long way from the work so feel free to take your time.
Well sorry to say mine is a' 74 very different grill. Not sure if the mount points are anything the same so will it help you?

moparroy

Reaction score
I asked google (LOL). From the pics and some videos on line, the 1970 header panel and related grill mounting is very different from any other year. You'll need 1970 details - anything from my '74 will unfortunately only confuse you. Sorry could not help more.

Cuda416

Reaction score
I asked google (LOL). From the pics and some videos on line, the 1970 header panel and related grill mounting is very different from any other year. You'll need 1970 details - anything from my '74 will unfortunately only confuse you. Sorry could not help more.

No worries, the offer was greatly appreciated.

Back