• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

What's the difference between a factory AC dash and non AC?

Fireman Dan

Reaction score
The Vintage Air system works better with their under dash vents. Its miserable to get the system to work with factory vents.
Going by your moniker and your response I take it you have Vintage Air on a six pack. I am doing a tribute and need to know if the non-fresh air six pack air cleaner will clear the Vintage Air compressor or I should go with a shorter compressor from Bouchillon.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Going by your moniker and your response I take it you have Vintage Air on a six pack. I am doing a tribute and need to know if the non-fresh air six pack air cleaner will clear the Vintage Air compressor or I should go with a shorter compressor from Bouchillon.
I sent a message. I don't remember. It has been too long since I installed one. Things also change. The tubes that hook to the vents from Vintage Air used to be round. I now understand they have been redesigned to match the square Ebody vents. Other changes may have been made also.

themechanic

Reaction score
I installed a 4 barrel oval air cleaner and Vintage Air system using factory dash vents. No clearance issues with the compressor and air cleaner.

The kit I got used the standard flex hose. They were easy to push on the backs of the vents but very hard to fit inside the dash where some of the hoses have to cross each other. I recommend a lot of patience and small hands/arms. It's not a job for a big guy.

Fireman Dan

Reaction score
I appreciate the input. Mines a non-air car. I planned on using the VA under dash vents. I like OE look most of the time but I’m trying to be less anal in my older age and a little more function over form.

BSG

Reaction score
I appreciate the input. Mines a non-air car. I planned on using the VA under dash vents. I like OE look most of the time but I’m trying to be less anal in my older age and a little more function over form.
make it yours while keeping the soul of the car is the way to go. When i hit the starter and here that sound of a vintage mopar it puts a smile on my face

Fireman Dan

Reaction score
Agreed! After all the comments and research I guess I’m going with a VA kit minus bracket & compressor. VA gave me that quote. I’ll get the Sanden 508 compressor and bracket from Bouchillon. I don’t recall seeing a water pump housing in my parts, so I may have to buy one. I sure liked the way that 440 source aluminum housing and 4710 bracket worked.

Back