• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Why our Old Mopars are the best!

Xcudame

Reaction score
OK, thought of a fun topic that us Mopar nuts can all chime in on. Compared to other cars of the same year, our Mopar cars were much superior. After all, why are we here on this forum. So I thought I'd start listing a few items why our Mopars are better. Feel free to add more reasons and expand on reasons given by others. And remember this is intened to be fun and truthful for us crazy Mopar people.
1) Our engines across the board are just better. From the nearly indestructible slant six, high winding small blocks, torque monster big blocks to the awesome 426 Hemi.
2) lightweight unibody cars. Our cars are typically a few hundred pounds lighter than the competition.
3) Wildest exterior colors than any other car manufacturer.
4) The winged cars - Dodge Daytona and Plymouth Superbird.

pschlosser

Reaction score
Maybe for the reasons you've already cited, they were also winning most of the stock car races at a time when America was really thrilled about racing. Racing has since been supplanted by booming stereos, the NFL and NBA... and reality shows.

Xcudame

Reaction score
I remember as a little kid reading through my dad's Chilton automobile manuals and comparing the base engines' (not high performance) horsepower and torque between Chrysler, Chevrolet and Ford. Chrysler engine's usually had more horsepower and torque compared to the other engines of similar size.

Xcudame

Reaction score
5) forged steel crankshafts in most engines
6) better factory support for performance modifications
7) 727 - best automatic transmission ever!
8) stamped steel rocker arms on shafts. They retain oil between startups.
9) Big blocks had "air gap" intakes since 1959!
10) Best handling cars compared to anything from Bowtie and Blue Oval. Sure we can improve on it now, but mopar suspensions where so far ahead of everyone else. Think cop cars that handled.

Come of FEBO members, add to the fun! Are cars are worth more for a reason!

tonysrt

Reaction score
Although the unibody was light weight it really wasn't good for the muscle cars. That's why there's a company selling you parts to stiffen up your body. My Cuda now has torque boxes and extensions from rear to front subframe.

Xcudame

Reaction score
It was better than what the competition offered! My wife had a 69 Chevelle Malibu. Jack up the front end and you couldn't open the doors because of the body flex! She now drives a Chrysler 300c hemi! I agree sub-frame connectors and torque boxes help our mopars a lot, but compared to what others had in the 60s and 70s, we had the best setup! Look at the record books for drag racing and Nascar. Mopars were the first into the

tonysrt

Reaction score
I believe you're right about Mopars being better with the unibody. I saw a Camaro and it looked like the front subframe was just bolted to the floor pan, not welded like Mopars.

One of few

Reaction score
My Challenger is just a fun car to drive. It’s a conversation starter no matter where it goes.

440WB

Reaction score
Hands down the High Impact Colors -
with the very cool Nick names for each color!

440WB

Reaction score
Hense my created Slogan on Moparts Forum back in 2003 -

quote -
They only see Stars -
When hit by a Mopar!

440WB

Reaction score
HOW ABOUT THE

PAR-TIC-U-LAR
par·tic·u·lar
particular

SOUND - ROAR - RUMBLE

THAT ONLY MOPARS MAKE AND HAVE !!!

Ariovistus

Reaction score
The first Musclecar I ever drove was my Friend's 1971 Cuda 340. It had the Go Wing. I remember My friend got into a race with a 1969 Z/28 Camaro. The Cuda beat the Z/28! It was amazing. I have been Cudaized ever since. My First Car was a 1972 Barracuda with a 318. We Put 70 340 heads, 70 340 exhaust manifolds,a Crower group II Cam, Edelbrock Performer Intake and a 625 Carter AFB. That Car was quick! Then My Neighbor sold Me his 72 Cuda 340 4 Speed! It had 400 Horsepower. I was in the USAF at the time 1983-1987. But then I got stationed in England. I left both 72 's at My Mom's, But her husband complained and both Cars got sold while I was in England. After 3 years in England, I returned and found a 70 Gran Coupe with a 440. I knew it was not original, but I still wanted it. It was March of 1991 and I offered $5500.00 which the owner accepted. But when I showed up with the Cash, He told Me it was now $7500.00. I told Him forget it. So finally in Feb of 1998, I found a 1972 Barracuda with a 340. I paid $4000.00. I had to replace a quarter panel. I got it restored in 2003. I was still in the USAF, and I got transferred to Georgia. I ended up selling the car for $14,000.00 because I could not afford to take it to Georgia with Me. I am now Retired from the USAF. I plan to find another Cuda, but this time a 70 or 71. But that First 71 Cuda I drove made the Cuda My all Time Fave Mopar, with the 70 Challenger!

Xcudame

Reaction score
Way back in college I remember racing a Nova in my 70 Challenger on the freeway. I had 2.76 gears in at that time. Let's just say the Nova couldn't reach over 120mph! :) I still had pedal left and he was fading in the distance. The guy showed up a few days later where I worked (not a lot of FY1 Challengers in one location). He wanted to know what I had in it. "OH, it's just an old 383 with torqueflight." Seems he had the Chevy version of a "383".

I run a Thermoquad on the Challenger now. Everyone who's even driven a mopar with a Thermoquad knows that very distinctive induction roar when the secondaries kick open! Six-packs are very distinctive too!

Xcudame

Reaction score
That's a really nice Cuda with a lot of factory options! And the Curious Yellow with black vinyl top and black billboards certainly shows why our Mopars are the best!!

pschlosser

Reaction score
I just joined this site tonight after years of watching the hobby grow.
What a beautiful car. This is a car any sane Mopar enthusiast would be thrilled to own. Well done. If you've not already done so, I encourage you to start a NEW thread in the Welcome Wagon and post this information and pictures anew. Certain features are unlocked by this site after you start a thread and it gets some number of replies. Please partake of this benefit. I'm not sure you get these benies by adding to another thread. But I LOVE this yellow color. And the fact you posted the fender tag, build sheet, alongside the photos of the car. Perfectly executed.... just not in a new post whereby you get the most benefit.

Back