• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Why our Old Mopars are the best!

Cojohnso

Reaction score
Although the unibody was light weight it really wasn't good for the muscle cars. That's why there's a company selling you parts to stiffen up your body. My Cuda now has torque boxes and extensions from rear to front subframe.
They were good for stock power. But you're right about frame and suspension support to higher end builds. GMs needed too.

Cojohnso

Reaction score
For me is the body lines. They are more aggressive and pronounced. Thus why they are able to support wilder color combos.

Mopar's drive train. From the 426. Thru the A833 trans which is unparalleled in toughness for a 4-speed. To the Dana 60 rear. Sorry Ford 9" lovers. I know they are easier to work and for gear swap. But the Dana 60 sure grip in Mopars is the biggest, heaviest, toughest rear-end ever put into a passenger automobile.

Add that up. And it spells WINNER!

Xcudame

Reaction score
Every engine from the lowly 170 ci slant six to the 426 hemi are tough and hard to beat! The aluminum housing torqueflights (904, 998, 999, A727A, A727B) are amazing as well as the A833!
Chrysler wasn't afraid to go all out on body colors!

PS, I'm not a Ford 9" fan either!

lainetx9

Reaction score
Thank you for all your support towards my GY3 'Cuda340. So how do find the link to "start a NEW thread in the Welcome Wagon" (I can`t seem to find the link). Thank you.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
There is an orange button on the upper right that says post thread.
Click that button and it will open a blank thread that you can then post pictures and add your conversation with everyone here.

hdwrench

Reaction score
besides being great looking cars and of course the reasons stated above i think the rear wheel traction was better and easily improved . i have friends who could do screaming smoke shows with there cars , but a good hole shot off the line not at all . one bud had a 67 camaro , he asked our neighborhood drag racer what he could do to improve traction . the drag guy said cut that coil springs suspension off the car and install an 8 3/4 rear out of a duster . he did just that and greatly improved his traction….

Xcudame

Reaction score
I remember a neighbor of a good friend of mine telling me his 69 corvette stingray drag car went fastest with a 426 hemi and torqueflight then any 454 and 400 hydromatic he could have build.

lainetx9

Reaction score
Thank you pschlosser for the recommendation. I re-posted the post in the "Welcome Wagon" as you had suggested. Thank you again.

IMG_7723-1.jpg

IMG_7969.JPG

IMG_0194.JPG

budascuda

Reaction score
Hehe, you guys are just too funny, shy like 16 year olds.........
The popularity of mopars has nothing to do with ;
Colours
Engines
Options
Interiors
Unibody/weight
Price
Advertising
Non of the above, non, not a one!
They are popular because they are tastefully sexy.
like Cuda Hunter said, aesthetically pleasing....

Last edited:

Xcudame

Reaction score
Well, they have to be (and are!) Dependable. Case in point, my 96 Neon. Rat chewed most of the way through #2 fuel injector connector. Wire broke completely when my son was 40 miles from home. Little 2.0 got him home going 65 mph on the highway! Anything other than a mopar, he would have been stranded!

budascuda

Reaction score
Well, they have to be (and are!) Dependable. Case in point, my 96 Neon. Rat chewed most of the way through #2 fuel injector connector. Wire broke completely when my son was 40 miles from home. Little 2.0 got him home going 65 mph on the highway! Anything other than a mopar, he would have been stranded!
True , I think they are a little more honestly built.

heminut

Reaction score
. one bud had a 67 camaro , he asked our neighborhood drag racer what he could do to improve traction . the drag guy said cut that coil springs suspension off the car and install an 8 3/4 rear out of a duster . he did just that and greatly improved his traction….
67 Camaros had leaf spring rear suspension, not coil spring! 😁

Xcudame

Reaction score
OK. Time to add more. The best engine ever has to be the big block mopar. The water pump can be swapped easily (four bolts for the fan/clutch and four for the pump). The oil pump is external and and easy to replace. The distributor is in front and pointing to the passenger fender. The block is deep skirted and supplies a lot of stiffness. The intake manifold is dry (no water or oil) and was an air gap from the beginning. Spark plugs are actually very easy to replace from under the car (assuming wedge and stock manifolds). They are easy to stroke to more cubic inches. And the best part, the mighty 426 hemi elephant motor is the pinnacle mopar big block offshoot!

Cojohnso

Reaction score
On engines. At least in the big block world. The upper head rocker arm shaft design on Mopars is superior to GMs ball stud design. It distributes stress more evenly across the head. While giving more valve room. This design is more expensive on production numbers. But too bad Chevy guys!

The problem with RB block is that some geometry suggests that their deck height is too tall for the stock cubes they presented. But that just means higher gains with stroker builds. For this is why I'm a believer of using the short deck B block 400 (which has the largest bore Chrysler ever produced.) And mate with the RB 3.75" forged crank. For the classic 451. I call it. "The big block that thinks it's a small block." A poor man's stroker with some impressive power potential.

Last edited:

Xcudame

Reaction score
Just remember from responding to another post, Chrysler had the best shock absorbers of anyone with the Oriflow shocks! Looking at the history, they were way better than anything form GM and Ford! 😀

mrmopar340

Reaction score
Sox and Martin. Didn't Ronnie win 70 of 71 events one year? Also I think the first cars to top 200mph in Nascar. I remember the 413's at Starkey drag strip in Roanoke VA . They cleaned everyone's clocks back then.

Back