• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

will 727 with reverse manual shft work on street

440cuda

Reaction score
I picked up a 440 with a 727 reverse manual shift pattern on a craigslist deal- I was searching around and most seem to think that this is mainly a drag strip setup and will not be very good on the street. I wanted to get some opinions- should I use it or maybe it can be rebuilt with a regular shift pattern? or do I have to get a new tranny all together?

3406pk

Reaction score
If shifter has park and will shift automatically, then no reason not to drive on street. If it won't auto shift, then more of a pain. You can put standard pattern valvebody in it too.

burntorange70

Reaction score
Think all you would need to do is change the valve body out if you don't like the manual one.

I don't see it being all that bad though. Just like a 4 speed car but with out the clutch. Just depends on you and what you like and are willing to put up with.

6packcuda

Reaction score
I think a reverse manual would be a huge pain on the street. Especially if you're trying to use it with a slap stick. All you would need to change is the valve body to make it fwd pattern.

prairiedoghunter

Reaction score
I have a pickup with a manual valvebody. it is regular pattern. I really whish they would have gotten a reverse pattern.

With a reverse pattern you will just have to down shift before you can go into neutral, reverse, park, which you would commonly do anyway.

quickquartermile

Reaction score
I have and use a reverse pattern in my Challenger which see's street and track duties with no problems at all. You just have to shift each gear or else it will stay in the gear you leave it in when leaving a stop sign or traffic light. good luck

Back