• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Windshield Replacement

BluRaySRT

Reaction score
I would like to have the windshield replaced/repaired on my ’71 Cuda Convertible. It appears to be the original windshield, but it is very pitted and has some wiper scratches. My understanding is that when a windshield is pitted, polishing it is not a great idea due to distortion and the weakness induced in the process.

(I live in the Boston area and it is difficult to find someone willing to take on this job, let alone someone that has the right experience. If someone knows a shop, please drop it in a reply. )

That said, I did find one shop that might be willing to tackle this. However, the guy I spoke with said that because these windshields fit into a rubber gasket(?), it might be necessary to also replace that gasket if it is too old to be reused. He also said that the company that he relied on to supply to proper adhesive for the gasket has discontinued it and he has no access to any additional adhesive. I said I would do some research so here I am.

Here are my questions/concerns. You guys are very knowledgeable so I would appreciate your thoughts.

• Does this car actually use a rubber gasket? In posts I have read all I see is a reference to butyl tape and some spacers. If there is a gasket, Is it likely that it would need to be replaced?
  • Where can I find the proper adhesive?
  • Should I at least try the polishing option before doing a replacement?
  • Are there any important differences in replacing the windshield in a convertible vs hardtop?
Finally, although the car went through a restoration, I don’t think that the windshield was ever removed during that process. (Can’t be sure… it was before I purchased it) So another concern that I have is finding rust/damage once the windshield/gasket is removed. I’m not interested in turning this into a five figure repair. Is there any way of knowing the condition of the metal without removing the assembly?

Thanks in advance for your comments and recommendations!

Adam

Reaction score
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/MMM08612

No rubber gasket, it uses a butyl tape. But some new windshields are thinner than the originals; so You should get your replacement glass then determine what thickness butyl either 5/16, or 3/8. This is so the stainless trim fits properly on the glass. Alternately, the shop could use spacers and polyurethane.

Last edited:

heminut

Reaction score
Alternately, the shop could use spacers and polyurethane.
If they use urethane sealer tell the shop doing it to make DAMN sure they don't get any sealer on the inside A pillar trim! Better yet, take the A pillar trim pieces out before they put the new windshield in and then put them back in afterwards.

The shop that did my windshield several years ago got the urethane sealer on the trim pieces and when I tried to take them out to replace my dashpad they were firmly glued in place! I tried cutting the sealer on the inside of the windshield but that didn't free them up and I eventually broke both of them getting them out. Thank goodness repops are available.

The guy who owned the shop that did the work (he's an old friend that used to work with me back in the day) told me that the old butyl sealers were a lot more forgiving with stuff like that, but they no longer used the butyl sealers. He also told me that he no longer does any work on the older cars at all because of all the issues (like the one I had).

moparleo

Reaction score
Safe-lite. Check with collision shops. Try Google.
AMD or ECS for glass. Also Classic, YearOne and many others.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Butyl sealers are no longer compliant. Because they do not hold the windshield and occupant in the event of an accident. Not saying it still can't be used. This is what I used. it needs to be warmed up with a heat gun before use. read instructions.

u-428 Plus HV dow-auto-glass-primerless-urethane​

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Safe-lite. Check with collision shops. Try Google.
AMD or ECS for glass. Also Classic, YearOne and many others.
I like ECS they go out of their way for customer satisfaction.

cuda joe

Reaction score
urethane is way better than butyl tape with butyl and a fairly high speed collision the windshield will fly out. and urethane will keep the roof from moving side to side one of the reasons the top of the A- pillar cracks

Back