• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Won't Start in Park or Neutral

money pit

Reaction score
Thanks. I found some other issues.
This new switch doesn't work. I tested it before I installed it. The center pin doesn't ground when the plunger is pressed. The reverse terminals work. The switch in the car, the center pin is grounded in park and neutral but the reverse pin have no continuity in reverse. So I think I will need to drop the trans pan.
Modify message

money pit

Reaction score
Before you condemn the new switch, all tests described above, are to be performed with the switch installed in the transmission.
I was reading another thread for testing the switch. I was testing the switch incorrectly. I should have tested the continuity between the center terminal and the small silver nub on the insulated piece.

money pit

Reaction score
You can remove the ground wire from the starter relay (this wire goes to your neutral safety switch) and do a temporary ground wire from the starter relay to the chassis. This will bypass the neutral safety switch so you can see if the car will start.
I tried that. The car will start. Thanks

AUSTA

Reaction score
Try putting your foot on the brake turn & hold the key to the start position then move the gear selector from low to park if the starter tries to engage then the rooster tail inside the box could be misaligned or have rust on the surface the switch needs to ground on the rooster tail for it to work ,i recently fitted a new control module from A&A transmissions had all sorts of problems turned out to be the cadmium plating on the rooster tail once i cleaned it off it worked no problem

money pit

Reaction score
Try putting your foot on the brake turn & hold the key to the start position then move the gear selector from low to park if the starter tries to engage then the rooster tail inside the box could be misaligned or have rust on the surface the switch needs to ground on the rooster tail for it to work ,i recently fitted a new control module from A&A transmissions had all sorts of problems turned out to be the cadmium plating on the rooster tail once i cleaned it off it worked no problem
I ended up getting a NOS NSS. This solved the problem. Thanks

Back