• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Work started!

Paul D.

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Been a long time since I posted anything, mainly because I had nothing to post since my car was just sitting in limbo. Well I am glad to report that I now have my 70 Barracuda indoors and have started restoration work on it. Still a lot of work to do. Just have all the surface rust knocked off except around the very bottom. Now have to get all the pitting caused by the rust sanded out. Then deal with all the body imperfections. Hope to be ready to do some primering by late spring, early summer. This is just first phase. Starting to look like it could be a nice car again one of these days.

0902180939b_resized.jpg

0902180938_resized.jpg

20220215_155503.jpg

20220215_155454.jpg

20220215_155436.jpg

20220215_155414.jpg

Last edited:

moparleo

Reaction score
By the looks of the passenger door, Remanufactured hinges are ion your future. Contact me when you want then done right. Member discount pricing. Best you can buy.

Attachments

• 2022 MEMBER HINGE PRICE LIST (1) (1).pdf
    107 KB · Views: 154
  • E BODY HINGE REBUILT LOWER.jpg
    E BODY HINGE REBUILT LOWER.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 129

Paul D.

Reaction score
By the looks of the passenger door, Remanufactured hinges are ion your future. Contact me when you want then done right. Member discount pricing. Best you can buy.
Hi Leo. I'm sure they are for both doors! I will be in touch. Thanks for the offer. Do you also do hood hinges?

cuda joe

Reaction score
thats a lot of grinding i did a car that looked like that started to get burned out then a friend said do one panel at a time body work primed blocked out and spray a couple of coats of base coat paint that kept me motivated

Paul D.

Reaction score
thats a lot of grinding i did a car that looked like that started to get burned out then a friend said do one panel at a time body work primed blocked out and spray a couple of coats of base coat paint that kept me motivated
That's over the course of four or 5 weeks maybe two to four hours at a shot in my spare time on days it was warm enough to work in our unheated shop building. Maybe 40 to 60 hours total. Probably that much more time or a little more to get metal where I want it.

i_taz

Reaction score
Thanks. I love the mags too and further down the road they definitely will get restored.

They were popular back then like most 'mags', even at the expense of the factory rally wheels.
Appliance was one make I recall...

i_taz

Reaction score
Regardless of what make they are if you want period correct center caps start hunting these down.
This logo is also period correct since it changed over the years...

Attachments

• Appliance center cap.jpg
    Appliance center cap.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 124

rklein71

Reaction score
I used chemical stripper to remove most of my paint, although I replaced the rear quarters which lessened the time a bit.

Attachments

• D7521AAF-30C2-4B56-99C9-949621440DEE.jpeg
    D7521AAF-30C2-4B56-99C9-949621440DEE.jpeg
    912 KB · Views: 115

Paul D.

Reaction score
Regardless of what make they are if you want period correct center caps start hunting these down.
This logo is also period correct since it changed over the years...
Here's the Center caps that were on it. They're just cheap plastic. I did an online search and it looks like American Racing has similar caps but made of metal.

20220303_114911.jpg

Last edited:

cuda joe

Reaction score
a us mag wheel they make repops of those looks like the old 2 1/8 inches between holes american racing makes pepops and et also

cuda joe

Reaction score
aircraft stripper works the best. they have dry stripper also what is nice about that is brush it on the next day it;s dry just scrap it off no mess but it won;t work with lacquer.which I dought is on your car. tape all jambs the stuff makes a mess in the jambs if your not stripping them too

cuda joe

Reaction score
when ready for primer go to an auto paint store buy a good primer .don;t use lacquer

Paul D.

Reaction score
aircraft stripper works the best. they have dry stripper also what is nice about that is brush it on the next day it;s dry just scrap it off no mess but it won;t work with lacquer.which I dought is on your car. tape all jambs the stuff makes a mess in the jambs if your not stripping them too
Everything is getting stripped outside and in.

Back