• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

working on your own project

Buddhascuda

Reaction score
I'm trying to get motivated to work on my car when the oders and soundbother the other people in the house.the garage is under my daughters bedroom.and its to cold to work outside. ive got the want but getting started is the toughest . any ideas

sheetmetaldan

Reaction score
Try doing smaller things that won`t make too much noise or smell.Redoing seatcovers maybe? Anything you can complete no matter how small is one step closer to completing your project. I think everyone hits the wall at some point,you just got to push on through and stay dedicated to your goal!
I can tell you what wont work, at least for me anyway. Renting a garage across town.I ended up paying rent for a place I was never at. With the demands of being a family guy working keeping the grass cut ect,ect my project stalled.I then bought a portable shelter and set it up at my house but didn`t put down a floor. Working on a car and laying in dirt wasn`t cutting it either. So I gave up and sold the car goodbye 69 Camaro.
I now have another portable shelter for my Barracuda learned from past failure and put a floor down inside still not perfect but it was good enough to get my current car running and on the road portable heaters made it possible to work in there during the winter.
I`m sort of in the same boat as far as motivation right now I want to work on my car, i`m so close to getting paint on it,but since work is scarce for me right now.I have to keep an eye on my finances first and keep the roof over my head.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
As mentioned interior is a good place to start. I would redo the complete dash. It can be a lot like building a model. Once it is cleaned and parts are painted you can assemble it anywhere it is warm. It's time consuming and makes no noise. It has to be done sometime. If it is done by spring you can then tackle the outside things to be done on the car.

CichliDart

Reaction score
Sometimes just looking at other peoples projects and their progress gives me the kick in the pants. Or looking at completed cars can do it for me.

ramenth

Reaction score
As mentioned interior is a good place to start. I would redo the complete dash. It can be a lot like building a model. Once it is cleaned and parts are painted you can assemble it anywhere it is warm. It's time consuming and makes no noise. It has to be done sometime. If it is done by spring you can then tackle the outside things to be done on the car.

I like this.

My nephew has a '72 Duster going through a complete rebuild. He really doesn't have a lot of money to truly get rolling on the body and I don't have room at the shop to work on it.

But it's not big deal for him to work on the smaller things in the basement and get them done. The grille and the taillights are done, wrapped in bubble wrap and stored away for when the time comes to be able to put them on the car itself.

Good motivation to keep on the project as it sets small goals that have do be done at some point no matter where the project sits and gives a sense of accomplishment that at least something gets done with the eye on the big picture.

Buddhascuda

Reaction score
thanks guys and the thing is I have alot of the new metal to go on and I have to wait til the spring thaw and pushing the car outside to work on it .i can do some of the smaller stuff and will but its just killing me not doing the body after sitting apart in my garage for 12 years and this car has been off the road since the 90"s .i really want it on the road again

Back