• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Directionals Not Working

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I'm implying to check each light socket by applying power to the plug,and touching the housing.not scratching off pant. Narrow it down by process of elimination. You might see something that's not right.If was a as simple as putting in a flasher you would be done. Find what works and don't work. You know the system doesn't work. Note I think there is a ground wire on the taillight assembly.

Last edited:

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
70 diagram
1710437060869.jpeg
1710436994484.jpeg
1710436586698.jpeg
1710436560490.jpeg

Last edited:

KennyCuda

Reaction score
Makes sense I also think the problem is in the front of the car also. I installed a new directional relay and the brakes work--the rear flashers work but the fronts dont. The taillights and parking lights both come on but are very dim. And when I try the directionals the dash bulbs they stay solid lit. Should I run a ground with from each parking light to a ground? I dont see a ground wire in the trunk I remember when I had a 69 charger there was a ground wire in the middle by the latch mechanism I dont see that on a e body

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
What you are describing is the same problem I had. Like I sad unplug the side parking lights and the front parking-turn signal light. Also behind the driver's kick panel unplug that connector, that take's the rear out of the equation. Cut the wire off you wife's vacuum and you have a long enough cord to hook up to the battery
+ and -.
NO! don't do that. If I need a long test wire, I'll use zip cord. It's the house cord that you buy at the Dollar store. Dollar store! that's a whole other thing. Get 2 or 3 plug 2 together and cut one in half. Then plug the ends into the other ones and strip the ends. polarity,one side is smooth and the other is ribbed. get those.

Last edited:

KennyCuda

Reaction score
I worked on the car today I changed the bulb on the left side and cleaned the socket. The guy from the shop spliced my drivers side directional where a wire had broken but he spliced 2 wires together and connected them to the housing im thinking one goes to the light and one to the ground ? not sure. I hooked up another separate ground wire from the radiator support to one side of the light and when I tried it the light didn't blink and stayed steady but was very bright like it should be not dull looking like the right side is now. So I guess I have to add a ground to the right side also but still can't get them to blink ill post a picture of what I have. Where's the ground wire for the rear taillights

D2CDCFF5-AA38-41F0-9B38-DCFDC17B7A26.jpeg

5A7F0C9B-5315-4DC5-A11A-81F3BBA47A5C.jpeg

2C1D12BB-4A9C-46AF-8527-F659289BE60D.jpeg

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
The Diagram in #22 post does not show all the grounds. Every wire is power to a load. All grounds are achieved thought the body. As I said in a prior post for a test use a wire from battery - to the light housing that will be a good ground. The black with tan and the black with yellow will be your power for light.

Last edited:

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
That's the point of testing each light to know it works. And test it when the housing is mounted on the body. No it wont blink when you put direct power to it,it will stay on. Use a test light on the car side plug in each socket, one is the parking light it will stay on. the other side will blink being the turn signal.The cars thees days are wired a little different.

Last edited:

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
OK the top black and white is a in-general diagram of how the most turn signal switches are configured. The bottom color diagram didn't exist until I made it from other diagram. Or at lest I never seen one. It is the pin out of the turn signal plug under the column.
Unplug the connector.On the car plug apply power to each connector that you want to check. Except the horn.Touch to ground to compete the circuit. If the lights works and you still have a problem,it's in the turn signal switch or the power coming from the flashers.
1710543264375.jpeg

1710554444452.png

Last edited:

KennyCuda

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the pictures the picture I posted there is 2 wires going to the wire with the crimped connector on it is that correct

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
OK the top black and white is a in-general diagram of how the most turn signal switches are configured. The bottom color diagram didn't exist until I made it from other diagram. Or at lest I never seen one. It is the pin out of the turn signal plug under the column.
Unplug the connector.On the car plug apply power to each connector that you want to check. Except the horn.Touch to ground to compete the circuit. If the lights works and you still have a problem,it's in the turn signal switch or the power coming from the flashers.
Adding to @Challenger RTA 's last diagram to show the left side with the steering column connector and the Turn Signal Flasher (on the side of the ashtray).
Turn Signal Flasher to Turn Signal Wide Connector at Column.jpg

KennyCuda

Reaction score
thanks for the info I worked on something different today took a break from those crazy directionals

Back