• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

XV Engineering?

Tirekickertoo

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I wanted to ask your opinion of XV Engineering and their products. I want to learn more about their Engine Bay Brace. It basically appears that it ties the front end together to avoid twisting during acceleration. The design looks like a triangle connecting the sheet metal above the upper control arms to the firewall. I've seen similar designs the mustang guys use and also in other late model performance cars. Dose this product work or is it a waste of money? Some might not like the look of it being visible and restricting some access to the engine compartment while others might like the restomod appearance? I've also done a little research on the company and it looks like they have had some issues in the distant past.

I look at US Car Tool and they have a different approach to reduce body twist. What do you think...

Here is a link to the XV Engineering web page:

XV Racing Products LLC

Thank you,

Tirekickertoo

DrEamer

Reaction score
I am using a mix of XV parts and US Car Tools. They do share some similar parts like the subframe connectors, core support under the radiator, and under front fender braces. Where are differ is that XV has the under hood brace, and US has torque box reinforcements. The later parts serve different purposes, but just wanted to note it. I originally bought the stage 2 chassis stiffing kit from US only to have the under fender braces not fit. I contacted US, and after they found out that it was over 30 days since I bought their product, they stopped talking to me. I was in a rush to get the parts , so turned to XV. Chris at XV had the parts made and shipped in a day. When he sent the wrong parts, we came to an agreement, and he made it right. Needless to say, I'm not a fan of US Car Tools ill fitting parts, or them not standing behind their workmanship. If I had known then what I know now, I would just use XV. I do know of one member that took his car directly to US, and had them put on the parts, so they had the luxury of fitting everything right there, and he was happy.

Now, as far as the under hood brace, like you said, a lot of places use them on other car brands. It is a proven device for adding front stiffness and preventing deflection. Also, I think the under fender braces may not be as strong and US design, but using both under hood brace with their fender brace set up would be good. I will probably add the under hood kit later, when the car gets closer to completed. If you have any questions, give Chris a call. He can explain why his system works, and what parts you might need. A plus for you is XV is located in New York, so a lot closer is something goes wrong. The whole issue in the past was with VX Motorsports, which Chris worked for, but did not own. I think he bought the rights for the parts design, and formed his own company.

Tirekickertoo

Reaction score
Hi DrEamer,
Thank you for your detailed reply to my question. Your experience working with XV Engineering and US Car Tool gave me a lot to consider. I think we all will agree that working with aftermarket parts (and vendors) will definitely test your patience. I'll give Chris from XV a call next week to get a quote on shipping. His business is about a five hour drive from where I am. I see that you are from the west coast. There is a Seattle Washington Craigslist sale for a earlier design XV Motorsports Engine compartment Brace. The guy wants $200.00 for it. Maybe you can make a deal with him? The Craigslist ad is:

1970-74 Dodge Challenger Parts

Best of luck completing your car,

Tirekickertoo

DrEamer

Reaction score
Hi DrEamer,
Thank you for your detailed reply to my question. Your experience working with XV Engineering and US Car Tool gave me a lot to consider. I think we all will agree that working with aftermarket parts (and vendors) will definitely test your patience. I'll give Chris from XV a call next week to get a quote on shipping. His business is about a five hour drive from where I am. I see that you are from the west coast. There is a Seattle Washington Craigslist sale for a earlier design XV Motorsports Engine compartment Brace. The guy wants $200.00 for it. Maybe you can make a deal with him? The Craigslist ad is:

1970-74 Dodge Challenger Parts

Best of luck completing your car,

Tirekickertoo

Thanks for the link, I have actually looked at the listing before while looking for other parts. I am going to hold off on the brace until after I get the car going, and drive it enough to see if I really need it.

Adam

Reaction score
Is this necessary? How much can the front end flex with the uni-body frame rails bolted directly to the K-frame, with an engine in it.. where would the flex occur, floor, firewall, frame rails, K-frame?; If so how could this brace possibly stop it? Bolted to the 18 or 20 gauge firewall and inner fenders...

Other cars, 69 Camaro, for example, have rubber biscuits b/t the front sub frame and the body. In this case the rubber bushings would allow some flexing around corners. Moroso used to sell aluminum spacers to replace the bushings but they would make the ride/noise a little harsh.

Last edited:
Back