• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Negative Cable

RamRod

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Before I ask my question, this has been a great resource for my restoration. Here is my question:

I am working on a 1970 Cuda 340 and I can't figure out where the negative cable hooks up? I have a reproduction one that has two wires. Where does each of them go? Does one go to the engine? If not, how is the engine grounded? If so, where exactly does it go?

Sorry for the amount of questions, but I am trying to get as close to factory as possible.

Thanks again!!!

moparlee

Reaction score
This is my 71 Challenger 340 before restoration. I would think a 70 Cuda would be the same. The large cable goes to the head and the smaller wire goes to the radiator support.
3 - Oct 14-14 (16).JPG
3 - Oct 14-14 (21).JPG

71RT383

Reaction score
I haven't seen mine in a while as I am in the assembly process at this time , going by memory ;
The thicker wire (aka "lower gauge") grounds to the engine block and attaches to the front throttle return spring bracket : the thinner wire ( aka "higher guage") grounds to the frame and attaches to the radiator support.
If factory correct ; the negative cable was usually attached the the engine upon its assembly and got sprayed at the time the engine was painted.
Hope this helps.

71RT383

Reaction score
Pardon my response was a bit slow.
Moparlee great pics.

muscle72

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Before I ask my question, this has been a great resource for my restoration. Here is my question:

I am working on a 1970 Cuda 340 and I can't figure out where the negative cable hooks up? I have a reproduction one that has two wires. Where does each of them go? Does one go to the engine? If not, how is the engine grounded? If so, where exactly does it go?

Sorry for the amount of questions, but I am trying to get as close to factory as possible.

Thanks again!!!
On my Challenger, larger one (of course) goes to front of the head and the smaller one I believe mounts to the radiator support. I can't look right now I have the cars stacked on the lift.

moparlee

Reaction score
On my Challenger, larger one (of course) goes to front of the head and the smaller one I believe mounts to the radiator support. I can't look right now I have the cars stacked on the lift.
No need to look. I already posted pics above.

Back