• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Flexplate bolt pattern

bullet18

Reaction score
I just got the 512 in with the new wholeshot torque converter and the bolts dont kine up at all. The pictures not very good but the t/c bolts are further up than the flexplate holes. Is there a different flexplate i need? It fit perfectly into the transmission. Im really pissed now cause i have to completely remove the engine again.

15787709511711065558062601138604.jpg

fasjac

Reaction score
Are you sure the converter is seated all the way in? I’m a manual trans guy but, I’ve been through this before. In the pic it looks to me that the converter is not quite in all the way.
Is the drive plate OE? Did the whole shot converter have any markings, v or arrow like the factory?
If so, the driveplate should have a1/8 hole close to the inner circle. That hole and the “v” indicate the offset hole.
That’s by memory but, I have a shop manual if you need anything looked up.
Good luck

Reaction score
There are 2 different flex plates with different bolt patterns. I can send pictures and measurements later today or tomorrow. Looks like the new converter is the small bolt pattern and the old one was the larger one. Also check that the converter is all the way into the trans pump area, it does look like its not all the way back as fasjac says, or did you pull it forward to try to bolt it up to the flex plate?

bullet18

Reaction score
I got it in all the way the pictures just at a weird angle. It clicked 3 times. I guess i need a small bolt pattern flex plate.

fasjac

Reaction score
If that’s a B&M converter ( I think it is) I would see what they have for it. If the motor is internally balanced, all good with OE plate. If not you may check with B&M on their options for external balanced plates. Just my 2cents,
keep us posted and hang in there.

fasjac

Reaction score
Hey Bullet, I know you have you hands full. If you get a moment later, will you share the part # converter you are installing and the rear gear ratio? As, I may put together a set up for the track later.
Thanks man,
fasjac

bullet18

Reaction score
I just bought a flexplate with all the bolt patterns and it'll be here by next weekend.

moparlee

Reaction score
Are you sure that you have the flex plate rotated properly. Just like the crank shaft flange which has one hole off set, so does the converter and the flex plate. This is done so all the parts get bolted up the same after removal to maintain the proper balance of everything.

bullet18

Reaction score
Are you sure that you have the flex plate rotated properly. Just like the crank shaft flange which has one hole off set, so does the converter and the flex plate. This is done so all the parts get bolted up the same after removal to maintain the proper balance of everything.
Yeah i rotated it all tge way around and none of them lined up.

bullet18

Reaction score
That bites! Hate to hear that bullet18. Which plate do you have coming? If I may ask.
Keep in mind im a college sophomore and broke as hell. It is sfi approved. 440 source has been hit and miss as far as quality goes. The stroker kit seems great so far but the transmission mount they sent me required heavy modifications.
Screenshot_20200112-221301_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

fasjac

Reaction score
I completely understand! I’m running if their roller rockers on mine right now. Along with their serpitie

fasjac

Reaction score
Serpentine pulleys and valve covers. It’s all good so far.
Sorry, I hit post reply accidentally on the previous post. 440 source has some good parts and like you, I’ve read some negative stuff. I’ve never used any tranny parts but, I’m betting you’ll be fine. When frustration sets in, just step away for a few minutes. We’ve all been there. Thanks for the info and keep us posted.

bullet18

Reaction score
The flexplate got here so ill be pulling the engine when i get home this weekend. Hopefully it goes well and i can get the oil system dealt with

Back