• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hood pops up a little from road vibration

70SunFun

Reaction score
My 70 Challenger hood is flush with the driver's side fender when parked. When I drive it vibration from the road makes the hood pop up about 1/2" in the rear. When I stop I push it back down but once I start driving again it pops back up. I have the hood hinge bolted down as far as it will go on the inner fender apron. Has anyone had this issue or know why this is? Thanks.

Rich G.

Reaction score
Sounds like the hinges are worn out. When the hood is closed you shouldn’t be able to move the hood up and down when you try to move it from the back.

70SunFun

Reaction score
Thanks for that information, Rich G. I appreciate it. I guess after 50 years it has been worn out.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Simple adjustment , loosen te bolts & raise te front of te jood twistin te position of mountinj , it will lower te rear
my keyboard is scrwwed , missin betwee F & I

sixpactogo

Reaction score
If it is out of adjustment, that is one thing. However, once those rivets are warn and the hood is able to be pushed up or down with all the bolts tight, Guess what. "The only real way is to fix em". E body's are notorious for it. The 72,3 & 4 hood hinges were improved some from 70 but only slightly. Pretty much the same thing with E body doors, They are long & heavy and once they wear out, you can lift the door to get it to latch or re-adjust them but it's a half assed job IMO.

70SunFun

Reaction score
Thank you all for your valuable input. I work with people in a machine shop. I'll have them look at it and see what they say it can be fixed or rebuilt. What's nice is if it can be rebuilt they'll rebuild it for no charge. Thanks again, members!

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Ok so you know better , still adjustin it is free & I would do it first as I ave done many times $.02

sixpactogo

Reaction score
Thank you all for your valuable input. I work with people in a machine shop. I'll have them look at it and see what they say it can be fixed or rebuilt. What's nice is if it can be rebuilt they'll rebuild it for no charge. Thanks again, members!
I remember when speaking to the SMS guy, he mentioned they make their own rivets but if you have access to a machine shop, they should be able to make their own hardened rivets. Fifty years of wiggling, jiggling and all the activity takes it't toll on everything. Even our bodies. Adjustments only go so far. I found that out personally when my knees opted for bone on bone.

70SunFun

Reaction score
I remember when speaking to the SMS guy, he mentioned they make their own rivets but if you have access to a machine shop, they should be able to make their own hardened rivets. Fifty years of wiggling, jiggling and all the activity takes it't toll on everything. Even our bodies. Adjustments only go so far. I found that out personally when my knees opted for bone on bone.
I'm gonna drive my car to work tomorrow and have the machinists look at the hinge. Hopefully they can make hardened rivets and fix the issue. Yeah, after 50 years and 93k miles the hood has seen a lot of vibration! Sorry about your knees, I'm sure that's no fun. Thanks again.

70SunFun

Reaction score
If it is out of adjustment, that is one thing. However, once those rivets are warn and the hood is able to be pushed up or down with all the bolts tight, Guess what. "The only real way is to fix em". E body's are notorious for it. The 72,3 & 4 hood hinges were improved some from 70 but only slightly. Pretty much the same thing with E body doors, They are long & heavy and once they wear out, you can lift the door to get it to latch or re-adjust them but it's a half assed job IMO.
Hello again, sixpactogo. I'm gonna address my hood hinge issue but have a question. I see you said that the 72, 73 & 4 hood hinges were improved. Do you know if those three years' hinges fit a 70, and are the Cuda and Challenger hinges the same? Thanks.

sixpactogo

Reaction score
I believe all E bodied cars will accept the them from any of those years. I only found out about the hinges when I sent my 70 Challenger hinges to SMS ro rebuild. They told me the 72 & up were improved. I can't remember how they were improved. I know that SMS makes their own rivets. They did a great job on mine. You probably should contact them for better info.
There is another company that rebuilds them also. I think they specialize in Chevy hinges but they also work on any of them.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
70 used a different size bolt inot the hood .
If you loosen the hinges & over lift the front of the hood twisting the hinge up & the front & down at the rear the back will pull down properly & stay down.

moparlee

Reaction score
70 used a different size bolt inot the hood .
If you loosen the hinges & over lift the front of the hood twisting the hinge up & the front & down at the rear the back will pull down properly & stay down.
Yep, I have done this in the past and it does work to get the back of the hood down and to stay down.

70SunFun

Reaction score
Thank you all for your excellent information, I really appreciate it. I'm gonna try one last time to adjust the hinge/hood from Chryco Psycho info which moparlee agreed on. I'm hoping the hood in the rear stays down. If not I'll have to get them rebuilt by SMS. Have a great weekend, All!

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
It will work if you do it right , it always has worked for me , best done with 2 people of course .

Back