• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

R/T hood wont sit down at rear

Jack91

Reaction score
Hey fellas.
I have adjusted my hood sideways and forward and back pretty well, but when its shut, the back of the hood (windscreen end) sits up about 3/8".
I can push it down flush easily, and it stays down, but next time you open and close it, same thing.
The hinges are already maxxed out downwards, its almost like the spring is causing it. Is it common to modify the hinges for more downwards adjustment?

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Hinge wore?
A common alignment problem on E-body & 71-up B-bodies is with the rear hood edge being up too high with the hinges being adjusted all the way down on the inner fender.
This is an adjustment problem! Start by moving the hinge up on the inner fender. (yes, up!)
Then, loosen the 2 rear bolts and leave the front bolt snug. Now lift the hood to make the hinge rotate (as viewed from the side). Re tighten the rear bolts and check the fit. This procedure will get that tail to come down. Adjust the front-to-rear dimension on the hood side bolts.
It can be frustrating and take some time, but these hoods will fit correctly! I’ve installed them with the hood sitting about 2 1/2" above the fender...using this method, the hood was fitting perfect in a few minutes!
Fender-Hood alignment

moparlee

Reaction score
Hinge wore?
A common alignment problem on E-body & 71-up B-bodies is with the rear hood edge being up too high with the hinges being adjusted all the way down on the inner fender.
This is an adjustment problem! Start by moving the hinge up on the inner fender. (yes, up!)
Then, loosen the 2 rear bolts and leave the front bolt snug. Now lift the hood to make the hinge rotate (as viewed from the side). Re tighten the rear bolts and check the fit. This procedure will get that tail to come down. Adjust the front-to-rear dimension on the hood side bolts.
It can be frustrating and take some time, but these hoods will fit correctly! I’ve installed them with the hood sitting about 2 1/2" above the fender...using this method, the hood was fitting perfect in a few minutes!
Fender-Hood alignment
Agree. This procedure worked for me when my hood set high at the back.

sixpactogo

Reaction score
You can adjust all you want but it is a band-aide at best. The correct way is to have them rebuilt. E body hoods are long and heavy and seem to be the worst at wearing out the rivets. I was able to adjust my hood so it would fit properly but after driving over a railroad tracks or bumpy road, it would not stay put.
I sent mine to SMS in New Hampshire for rebuild and they were perfect after that.
It is expensive but there is not much that isn't these days. I would check to see if someone in Australia can fix them for you. They need to use hardened rivets for the best results.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I agree with adjusting the hinges , lossen the bolts , over lift the hood , retighten the bolts , this will pull the rear down .

volunteer

Reaction score
Even the smallest amount of tightness at one or more hinge pivot points will oppose the little amount of spring tension (in the down position). Unless you are fine with removing both springs and the hood itself, try lubing all the pivot points with a quality product then work the hood up and down several times. Just one weak spring will aggravate the situation - no matter how hinges are adjusted.

Back