• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Pulley and bracket question

70BlueRT

Reaction score
First, let me say, I didn't find a specific form to start this thread. So if this is the wrong place to post, let me know. I purchased this a/c bracket system from a person in a Mopar group. I don't think it's for a Challenger, but it bolted on (with some love). It looks like the compressor is 10-15 degrees offset toward the right compared to most pictures I've seen. Will this be an issue for a weekend driver? I know it's not original for resale, but I just want to drive this baby. Does anyone have the correct brackets for sale? Pictures are for mock up only phase.

IMG_4777.JPG

IMG_4778.JPG

IMG_4779.JPG

IMG_4780.JPG

IMG_4782.JPG

IMG_4783.JPG

IMG_4784.JPG

IMG_4785.JPG

moparleo

Reaction score
Don't see any problem from a functional standpoint. It looks like you are going for the factory original look.
Unfortunately the old RV-2 compressors were not very efficient and take a lot of HP to run with the A/C on.
You are going to need hoses made for R-134 Use the proper oil etc.... Recommend you have an A/C specific shop do the conversion and recharge for you.
If you are not looking for judging points and want colder, more efficient a/c, go with a modern Sanden compressor conversion. Smaller, lighter, more efficient, cheaper and several companies make adapter kits for them. Very popular on all makes of older cars.
Hard to tell on the picture but it that a hardened washer under the compressor clutch retaining bolt ? The washer almost looks like it is puckered under the bolt head, but like I said it is hard to tell on these pictures.
Looks nice though.
For others that might not know the old dual belt setups required a "matched set" of belts. Not just the same part number. Matched belts were cut off the same wide belt lot so they were exactly the same dimensions other wise you can get a squeek that is impossible to get rid of.

HooToTheCore

Reaction score
Must be small block setup. Big block would have a separate water pump belt with idler pulley and the power steering would have it's own belt. But A/C, alternator, crank have dual belt setup. Oh, it's big block, I see the distributor opening now.

I think you have two heavy duty brackets that are not needed and the main piece supporting the compressor should move the another bolt on the water pump housing (rotate clockwise in pics) so that the compressor sits straight up. There should be two rods running from the top of the compressor to the block, which I see and a front and rear lower bracket.

Last edited:

Reaction score
You have 1968 and older compressor brackets. And 1969 and up alternator brackets.

The power steering belt originally just went from crank to PS pulley. It will work like that as long as the power steering belt lines up.

You are Missing the idler pulley/belt adjuster for the water pump belt, but if your PS belt lines up the way you have it you can use it that way and leave the other belt off.

70BlueRT

Reaction score
You have 1968 and older compressor brackets. And 1969 and up alternator brackets.

The power steering belt originally just went from crank to PS pulley. It will work like that as long as the power steering belt lines up.

You are Missing the idler pulley/belt adjuster for the water pump belt, but if your PS belt lines up the way you have it you can use it that way and leave the other belt off.
I have the tensioner and pulley, but it didn't line up so I'll have to modify it and use it for the last open slot on the front pulley. Since I bought the car as a roller, with no drivetrain, it's been challenging to get some pieces. Me not being an expert on Mopars doesn't help. I appreciate the help this site has given. I'll have many more questions as I get near the date to start the car. Thanks for the info.

70BlueRT

Reaction score
Don't see any problem from a functional standpoint. It looks like you are going for the factory original look.
Unfortunately the old RV-2 compressors were not very efficient and take a lot of HP to run with the A/C on.
You are going to need hoses made for R-134 Use the proper oil etc.... Recommend you have an A/C specific shop do the conversion and recharge for you.
If you are not looking for judging points and want colder, more efficient a/c, go with a modern Sanden compressor conversion. Smaller, lighter, more efficient, cheaper and several companies make adapter kits for them. Very popular on all makes of older cars.
Hard to tell on the picture but it that a hardened washer under the compressor clutch retaining bolt ? The washer almost looks like it is puckered under the bolt head, but like I said it is hard to tell on these pictures.
Looks nice though.
For others that might not know the old dual belt setups required a "matched set" of belts. Not just the same part number. Matched belts were cut off the same wide belt lot so they were exactly the same dimensions other wise you can get a squeek that is impossible to get rid of.
in hindsight, I should have saved money and time and upgraded to a new system for $1,500. I have 550. in the compressor alone and I do not have condenser lines yet.

fastmark

Reaction score
The problem may be when you install it in the car. It may hit the hood pad if you have one. My buds 68 Charger 440 has its original bracket just like that and it rubs on the hood pad. They lowered it in 69-72. You have a 68 down setup and it’s not complete. The compressor is the same. I may have the 70 brackets you need. Hoses are hard to come by that are for a B.B. SB can be modified slight to work. PM me if you are interested.

rklein71

Reaction score
I fabbed up some brackets for my Sanden style compressor using brackets from an eighties Dodge pickup that I modified. Rod

Attachments

• IMG_4405.JPG
    IMG_4405.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 156

70BlueRT

Reaction score
The problem may be when you install it in the car. It may hit the hood pad if you have one. My buds 68 Charger 440 has its original bracket just like that and it rubs on the hood pad. They lowered it in 69-72. You have a 68 down setup and it’s not complete. The compressor is the same. I may have the 70 brackets you need. Hoses are hard to come by that are for a B.B. SB can be modified slight to work. PM me if you are interested.
Learning every day how tuff putting an old roller together when you are not an expert. I added the additional tensioner and belt for the front and I have a right-hand thermostat housing. Still looks difficult to sneak my upper radiator hose between the heater hoses. Now I just want the correct a/c brackets. However, any suggestions are welcome.

70BlueRT

Reaction score
Lord, didn't even think about that.

fastmark

Reaction score
I’d try and get the correct one. It does sit lower.

Back