• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

What's it worth?

Hilljack

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to land a '70 Cuda project. It's a 340 4spd car, minus the engine and tranny. The body is in primer, but is pretty straight. The car is mostly complete - but apart, and everything will need rebuilt. The fender tag is in the piles of stuff, but I think the build sheet is gone.
I can't display any pictures because it's buried under piles of stuff... but I've known the guy for years, and trust his word as to the car's condition. So, my question to the masses is this: What do you think it's worth?

TC_Cuda

Reaction score
First Hi and welcome to the site

A lot of people like to ask What is it worth ? The answer is... whatever you are willing to pay and what the owner will sell for. I understand why people ask... they want to know … is it a good deal or am I getting ripped off.
You have no pictures and very little description so in realty there is no way to give you a good answer and even with pictures it is hard to put a value on something.
With no build sheet the only thing you can be sure of is that it is a 70 Cuda 340 car and that is if you verifier that the title , the dash , cowl , and radiator support all agree with each other.

Now with all that said the car could be worth a few thousand to over $10,000 it really depends on you and the seller. No one hear knows what it needs or what condition anything is in.
Does it need any panels replaced, does it need new wiring , does it need ??? You get the point...

Now let me ask you some questions. How much can you do yourself ? Have you rebuilt a car before ? How much do you know about Mopar's and Ebodies ?
Also even if you get the car for .. lets say $5,000 do you have the $50,000 or more it will cost to rebuild everything ?

I am not trying to discourage you, its just when these questions get ask its not a simple answer. If it is something you want and the price is good with you then get it and get to work.

You can get a lot of help from the people on this site. So let us know what you decide and keep us informed and ask questions but be ready to provide more info.

Best to you and this is just my 2 cents

70chall440

Reaction score
That is great advice and a great answer, I will add some information/comments. The value of the car is also dependent on where you are in the country to some degree, what's on that fender tag and what is in the "pile of parts" (which includes what condition is it in).

Also, if you have thoughts of finished value or making big money on it, I'd recommend getting that out of your head because unless it is super rare (unlikely) when you are done building it you will be upside down financially. Cars like this are awesome IF its a car you have always wanted and/or love and intend to keep for quite awhile.

The cost to build a car (not counting the cost of the car) can range from $10K for a Joe Dirt type vehicle that essentially just moves under its own power but needs pretty much everything else to over $100K for a complete restoration done by a decent shop (can be much higher as well). You can buy a decent running/driving car for $50K or less if you are patient and look around.

So the point here is that if you really want to build a car, then negotiate something you can live with and go on the adventure that is classic car building. Yes, it is not a financially sound endeavor however the sense of pride you will have the skills you will acquire are worth every second BUT you must love it (doesn't mean you will always like it) but if you do not have the passion it will become a burden and you will grow to hate/resent it.

NoCar340

Reaction score
I agree with the previous responses, and would only like to add the following:

"Barrett-Jackson is not real life."

fastmark

Reaction score
I’ve sold projects 70 Barracudas for between 10k for a mostly complete roller to 20k to a very complete roller with original paint. They are hot right now. 340 with a stick and fender tag is a plus. Mine were rust free Texas cars. That makes a difference. Remember this though, every project car you could get for free, you’ll still have more in it than worth when finished. Cost of everything is out of site right now. Just price a house or go to the lumber yard. The way the government is throwing money away right now, inflation will skyrocket.

Hilljack

Reaction score
I’ve sold projects 70 Barracudas for between 10k for a mostly complete roller to 20k to a very complete roller with original paint. They are hot right now. 340 with a stick and fender tag is a plus. Mine were rust free Texas cars. That makes a difference.
Thanks Mark. FINALLY... an answer to my actual question. I appreciate the input. As to the other comments... yes, I have rebuilt a car or two before. I did everything except engine, rear end and paint on my Coronet.

I have no intention of building a trailer queen that will never get her tires dirty, and I would never feed her to the Mecum or B-J machines. I have much more money wrapped up in my Coronet than I would ever be able to get out of her, but that's ok because I will never let her go.

My question was value of this particular car, nothing else.

fastmark

Reaction score
I’m selling project cars to younger guys too. They don’t last long on the market most have sold by word of mouth. I advertised two at one time and about went crazy. The more complete, the easier they sell.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Hilljack
:welcome: to FEBO from New Jersey
A lot of good feedback given
Our cars are a labor of love for sure
Financially, it is expensive to restore a car, but for me, it is worth the effort. Enjoy the journey what ever you decide!

Last edited:

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
That fender tag makes a huge difference in price often times. Please list it so that we can have a better understanding of what we are trying to determine a valu eon.
So, grey car, with some parts in piles. 5K. How long ago was it primered? What state is it in?

FENDER TAG !!!! Let's see it.

70chall440

Reaction score
Thanks Mark. FINALLY... an answer to my actual question. I appreciate the input. As to the other comments... yes, I have rebuilt a car or two before. I did everything except engine, rear end and paint on my Coronet.

I have no intention of building a trailer queen that will never get her tires dirty, and I would never feed her to the Mecum or B-J machines. I have much more money wrapped up in my Coronet than I would ever be able to get out of her, but that's ok because I will never let her go.

My question was value of this particular car, nothing else.

I am a bit confused, you are obviously not new to the Mopar world, you say you have "built a car or two" but then you asking what a car is worth without providing any pictures or details other than the basics. Are you know familiar with E bodies or are you just wanting a conversation? I am not trying to stir up any crap but you seem a bit upset that people didn't just give you numbers.

oldkimmer

Reaction score
My friend just put 70 K into a rust free car. It will be street driven. I think seeing how u built a few cars u already know what u will do to it and what it’s gonna cost u. Kim

Finoke

Reaction score
Thats plenty of info to get a ball park value. If its in primer, straight and rust free, and if you can find the fender tag and it has a title. Then 10 grand all day long without the engine and trans. Most projects I have come across say they have all the parts but they really don't. I just sold a rust bucket 70 318 auto with no title for 6100. So I wouldn't feel bad about spending 10-12 for the car your looking at.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Just some thoughts; if you have known the guy/car for years, I would clear the stuff hiding the car and do a thorough inspection. Inventory what is there and what comes with the car. This will give you an indication of value. Parts and repair of parts really costs. Specifically look for that fender tag that is "in the pile". It will determine value and will make your efforts in restoration worthwhile. Inspect the important body parts of the car; frame rails, firewall, k frame for rust or damage. This is where the restoration/ labor costs escalate. As others have suggested; mostly everything there, tag intact, body in reasonable condition with no major areas rusted out, engine and trans matching it is a $15k+ car. Any of the above mentioned caveats, start subtracting value. This is why you get $3k to $15K value estimates. Inspect and count what is there. JMO
1617628229913.png

Hilljack

Reaction score
I am a bit confused, you are obviously not new to the Mopar world, you say you have "built a car or two" but then you asking what a car is worth without providing any pictures or details other than the basics. Are you know familiar with E bodies or are you just wanting a conversation? I am not trying to stir up any crap but you seem a bit upset that people didn't just give you numbers.
Yep - seems like you ARE confused. As stated, I can't produce any pictures because everything is buried under a half ton of barn crap. I can't even see more than the front end and part of a fender myself. I'm not a bit "upset". You, sir, can just go and have yourself a nice day.

Cojohnso

Reaction score
I am looking at a 70 383 auto. Project. Its more put together. And does have its original engine and trans. But looks (as per description) in rougher shape than your target vehicle. (And not parts complete.) The price is near $14k. It's tough trying to compare apples to apples. But that's the price area I would be looking?

70chall440

Reaction score
Yep - seems like you ARE confused. As stated, I can't produce any pictures because everything is buried under a half ton of barn crap. I can't even see more than the front end and part of a fender myself. I'm not a bit "upset". You, sir, can just go and have yourself a nice day.

Ok so let's review; you asked what the car is worth without providing any real details or pictures of the car nor did you provide any information about your background but then are upset with the lack of the "appropriate" answers. I am definitely not "confused".

Montclaire

Reaction score
He must be one of those pickle fork chevy cretins that I read about in Mopar Action...

Back