• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 Challenger brake caliper problems

Wags70ss

Reaction score
Challenger RTA, that's an interesting article, but I already have disc brakes. I just need to figure out how to make them work.

hemi71x

Reaction score
You gonna try and rebuild your original calipers or not?
Or are you dead set on using rebuilt, remans from the auto parts stores?
Then you have no idea if the remans started life as factory original Kelsey Hayes castings, or they are aftermarkets from China during anywhere from the last 50 years?
Aftermarket calipers probably aren't machined to the original, 50 year ago blueprints, particularly if coming out of China, if converting from standard USA sizing to Metric.
Just leave the mounts alone, and machine, grind, the area on the caliper body, to have everything fit, and bolt together.
Easy Peasy.
I already have given you enough tips, advice, and this is my last, i'm done.
Happy wrenching, good luck to you, in your mechanical issue(s)

I'll rebuild your originals, for my labor charge, pistons, kits, paint, USPS both ways mailing.

Last edited:

Wags70ss

Reaction score
Wow, are you grumpy or what? I hope everyone on here isn't like that.

1. I realize that you guys don't know me so here's some history : I'm 59 years old, been working on old cars since I was 14. I'm perfectly capable of fixing this car and/or rebuilding the calipers.

2. Since the pistons are stuck in the calipers so hard, I don't know if it's POSSIBLE to rebuild them. They might be ruined. However, I do have them soaking in lubricant, so we'll see if I can get them apart AND if they aren't ruined on the inside.

3. I don't want to destroy a brand new set of calipers, so I want to be sure that I understand what needs to be done to make the wrong calipers fit onto my caliper brackets.

4. If I can swap out the brackets and make the new calipers fit, it seems to me that that would be the logical solution.

5. No matter what I do, I'd like to rebuild the originals no matter what. But I have to have all the parts to rebuild them first.

6. I'm in no hurry, so why not do it right instead of fucking up a brand new set of calipers?

That's why I'm asking all the questions. I don't want to screw it up, ok?

Wags70ss

Reaction score
Oh yeah, and if I rebuilt the original calipers, is the thicker rotor available for purchase?

Wags70ss

Reaction score
Here's an interesting twist. Turns out that the calipers I got off ebay are KH 86166, which means they are the calipers used after the wide mouth ones. So I guess all I need is a set of 71 caliper brackets and I can bolt these on.

Anyone got a set?

20220913_131322.jpg

benguin

Reaction score
The 1970 only and 1971 onward calipers "should" all fit.

Here is a picture of the 1970 only "wide mouth" caliper on a 1970 'cuda (casting #KH80012) followed by a 1971+ caliper picture of the "narrow mouth" (casting #KH86166).

There are a variety of lengths of caliper pins too- both for overall length and the unthreaded bolt end.

Brake Warehouse outside of Minneapolis can rebuild the calipers- talk to Brad, he's "the guy" for master cylinder work too.
Ben

DSC_4248.JPG

DSC_4249.JPG

Wags70ss

Reaction score
The 1970 only and 1971 onward calipers "should" all fit.

Here is a picture of the 1970 only "wide mouth" caliper on a 1970 'cuda (casting #KH80012) followed by a 1971+ caliper picture of the "narrow mouth" (casting #KH86166).

There are a variety of lengths of caliper pins too- both for overall length and the unthreaded bolt end.

Brake Warehouse outside of Minneapolis can rebuild the calipers- talk to Brad, he's "the guy" for master cylinder work too.
Ben

View attachment 97899

View attachment 97900
My 80012 calipers came off the brackets and the 86166 calipers won't go back on. Someone else here suggested that I modify them (grind them) to fit.

However, I'm thinking that if I can find a set of the correct brackets, I can swap them out and the 86166 calipers will work. That's why I'm asking about brackets. If the calipers are different, the brackets will be different as well.

Wags70ss

Reaction score
I'm betting that the caliper brackets are different in those 2 pictures. Here's a picture of the part number on mine: KH83525. There's a set for sale on ebay that are KH90425. I bet those are the ones I need.

20220913_225626.jpg

benguin

Reaction score
KH83525 was the original 70 right side, KH83526 on the left.. The 'new style' bracket looks like a KH600034 for the driver side, likely KH600035 for passenger.

Sean Ward

Reaction score
If you still haven’t solved this I had my original ones rebuilt by Brake and Equipment Warehouse in Minneapolis. They’ve done three sets for me on 3 different cars. Might save you some headaches.

Wags70ss

Reaction score
If you still haven’t solved this I had my original ones rebuilt by Brake and Equipment Warehouse in Minneapolis. They’ve done three sets for me on 3 different cars. Might save you some headaches.
OK I appreciate it. I may have to go that route if I can't find the different brackets.

Wags70ss

Reaction score
I had the same problem with Calipers on my 72 after sitting for 30 years. I adapted a grease nipple to the bleeder port and used a grease gun to pump them out. A little messy to clean up but worked perfectly.
I have a 20 ton press. I'll get them apart one way or another! 😊 I've got them soaking in pb blaster now.

Back